in loving memory of my rooster, Bob. R.I.P. SWEETIE!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chloezoebob101, Feb 21, 2012.

1. This is the story of my rooster, Bob. He is a dorking bantam, the cutest thing ever! He had ( in my opinion) a pretty interesting life. So this is from day one:
    I was looking on craigslist one day when i saw an ad about these little bantams that were going to hatch. I called, and we arranged to get them the Saturday they hatched. We got there, and I just about died! They were so adorable! Eight little ones, just for me! We picked them up and headed home. I fixed the coziest little place for them. It had shavings and a heat lamp and a little roost, and waterer and feeder. I was so excited!
    When they got a little bigger, we let them outside to play in our backyard. They flew from our treehouse to our porch ( really far away from each other) and had no flaws in their flight. they got " stuck" under the deck and i had to fish them out. After awhile i put a bigger pen outside for them so they could constantly have fresh air. back then they were not freaked out if i came near them, so i could pick them up and do whatever i want. every once in a while, they would go to our neighbors yard and get near her pool, so we would sneak in there and gets them out. she never knew!
    we would bring them down to the farm ( we hadn't moved there yet) and let them roam. they would go in a straight line through the fence like soldiers. well one night, it was time to put everyone away and go home for the night. there was only 8 birds we were missing, our bantams. i looked everywhere! and when i got ready to break and call it a night, i went to the truck... and there they were! all cuddled up in the truck under the light! they got in through the open door and snuggled for the night.
    now, since we thought they were old enough to stay the night, we prepared a place for them. got back in the morning and one was gone... i counted again, still 7, thats strange. then i looked upend there was a huge black snake curled up in a bowl on the ceiling. my dad picked him up, and sure enough there was a little hump. well, that snacked died shortly.
    somehow or another, we ended up with just 5, i don't know what happened to the other ones. So i named my four roosters and my hen. i came up with something versatile, Bob, Bobette, Bobettito, Bob Jr. i didn't know who was who, but i had them named. the hen was named Zoe.
    later it was time to sell the other roosters, so i kept bob. at first i wasn't sure which one to keep, but when Zoe showed interest in Bob by sleeping by him one night, my decision was made. The others we traded for another hen named Mocha, a sea bright. Zoe and Bob were like the mayor and his wife, always on a honeymoon.
    at the trade place, we got a "hen" and some little chicks and a few others. but i want you to remember the "hen." One day, our hen crowed. shortly after we got him. we couldn't believe it! they old him to us as a hen ready to lay anytime then. well, we were too stupid not to get rid of this big thing, and we kept him. I should've seen this coming, when i got a phone call form my parents one day who had headed down there earlier that morning, i knew something was wrong. and it was. Bob was hurt really badly, and was bleeding everywhere, but he was alive. Off went the head of Tiger, the rooster. Bob was too special to me for him to just trot on over there and hurt my baby! oh well, he was tender! yummy!
    Bob got better after that, and soon he and zoe, neon, and Jo ( yes she is a girl, maybe i will share the story of her name sometime) had some kids. they each hatched one bantam eggs each. Jo first, then Zoe, then Neon. They grew up and we got rid of zoe's rooster, kept neon's rooster ( stupidly) and kept jo's hen.
    well, bob is getting to be old now, and isn't as feisty as he used to be. he and Bob Jr ( his son) got into a fight. Well, i guess we don't know for sure, but he has some evidence. anyways, i came home form a visit from grandpas and never got the chance to see him. when i put chickens away that night, he was gone. just disappeared! i looked everywhere! under the coop all around the area. but my baby was gone. he hasn't shown up till this day ( okay, maybe its only 3 days after he disappeared, but hey!). i picked up Bob jR. last night and screamed at his little faced and cried! that was the story of my baby!
    R.I.P. SWEETIE! MOMMA LOVES YOU!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So sorry.

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm so sorry about your buddy. I know how you feel.
    Maybe, somehow he can still show up.

I don't know if I'm missing something, but what does this mean?

Quote:

4. there were some bowls nailed to the wall close to the ceiling that it was in.

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You mean the chicken was a snack to a predator?

6. yeah[​IMG]

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Awww, I'm sorry. [​IMG]

8. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    [​IMG]

9. its ok ( not really) BJ is a good one too.

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I'm sure he is. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by