In market for 2 ducklings and have some questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckLover1029, Aug 13, 2014.

1. DuckLover1029

DuckLover1029 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Hi there are some things I would like to know before getting a duck as a pet.

1. what is the best breed for a first time duck owner?
    2. Would I have to move my ducks inside for the winter?
    3. What is better male Or female
    4. Any name suggestions

Thanks any help is apreaciated and if there is anything else you think I should know please do tell

Thanks and God bless -Kiki :jumpy

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014

3. DuckLover1029

Aug 13, 2014
    Thank you for the advice I think I am going to get the khaki camels and will get them as eggs as far as number of ducks I was planning to get two after reading into only having one duck eggs would be nice but not necessary. Thanks for the welcome.:hugs

4. farm316

farm316 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2014
    Happy to help! Will you please post any updates?

5. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome Aboard,
    The Metzer Farms website has an informative Duck Comparison chart concerning various breeds. I picked Cayuga and Welsh Harlequin because they are said to be some of the most calm birds on their list. Both breeds are "relatively" quiet as far as ducks go and neither fly. The Cayugas are described as "multi purpose" but also hardy birds concerning temperature. Here in Florida there is no fear of the cold, but I am busy planting trees for shade. The Cayuga breed is listed as threatened and the Welsh Harlequin as critically endangered according to The Livestock Conservancy. I like the conservancy aspect of the hobby farm.

The males are less shy, but all will eat out of your hand when hungry.

[​IMG]

Enjoy,
    Rich

6. DuckLover1029

Aug 13, 2014
    @Richb353 thank for your input i think that i like the welsh harlequins loo a little better than the khaki cambles, and i think that they are a little bit calmer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by