In my hen coughing or is something stuck in her throat?

ImeshL

Chirping
Oct 29, 2021
Colombo, Sri Lanka
One of my hens has been making a coughing noise and moving her neck like she's trying to throw up. It' been going on for a few days and she's still eating & laying fine. Should I be worried?

Have you taken a look inside her beak for mucous, obstruction or yellow pasty material?
Do you notice any bubbles in the eyes or mucous coming from her nostrils?
Where are you located in the world?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Sounds like she may have respiratory illness, but I would check out those others things first.

Have you taken a look inside her beak for mucous, obstruction or yellow pasty material?
Do you notice any bubbles in the eyes or mucous coming from her nostrils?
Where are you located in the world?

I would check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Sounds like she may have respiratory illness, but I would check out those others things first.
Hi @Wyorp Rock,

No mucous, obstructions or yellow pasty materials as far as I can see
No bubbles either
I'm located in Sri Lanka

Will check her crop tomorrow morning and post an update :)

Hi @Wyorp Rock,

No mucous, obstructions or yellow pasty materials as far as I can see
No bubbles either
I'm located in Sri Lanka

Will check her crop tomorrow morning and post an update :)
Have you ever treated her for worms?
I would consider treating her for Gapeworm. I'm not familiar with what products/medications that you may have available to you, can you get Fenbendazole (Safeguard/Panacur) or Albendazole (Valbazen)?

What do you do with the eggs that can't be used during the withdrawal period? Feels like waste to just throw them away. Any tips to get some use out of them?

Glad you were able to see the vet. Hopefully you will see improvement!

Follow the guidelines the vet recommended for withdrawal periods. This means eggs should be thrown out. I know of no other uses for the eggs, I understand it seems like a waste.

Back
Top Bottom