In need of Blue laced red wyandotte sexing tips...Pics up of 5 chicks and one mystery chick

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ElCerritoPlace, Mar 10, 2014.

1. ElCerritoPlace

ElCerritoPlace Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    I have 5 blrw chicks that are just over 4 wks old. They all feathered in quickly, with long tails. I have 4 slw as well, but I'm fairly certain 2 of them are pullets and 2 cockerels. The slw cockerels feathered in slowly and had very short tails. The 5 blrw all feathered at the same rate as the 2 slw pullets. But then combs started turning red on the blrw. There are no signs of wattles yet although its probably too soon.

Are there any tips on what to look for at ths age to distinguish cockeral from pullets in blrw?
    I don't have any pictures right now but will try to get some later.

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Look for larger, redder combs and wattles coming in. Super-thick legs can be a sign, but only with other signs present.

Do post your photos for us to see. Sometimes it's honestly easier for a stranger to sex birds since they don't have any hopes or expectations clouding their eyes!

3. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    These are 4 weeks
    chick 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 4
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 5
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our mystery chick...dominique roo? His legs are thicker looking but his comb is not at all red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    Any thoughts?

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm sorry, but every one of those birds is male. See how they have red wings instead of an overall laced pattern on their feathers, as well as gigantic combs? Your Dominique, I don't know for sure--but my gut says male. Maybe someone with more experience with the breed will contradict me, there may be hope.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Chick 1, 4 and 5 are male...sorry...at 4 weeks with that much pink and flesh in the rose comb, that will be male.

Chicks 2 and 3 are likely male...but I would run it through the Wyandotte thread. Rose combs can be a bit trickier.

I'm not a Dominique expert, so you should run that photo by the Dominique breed thread, but I don't think your Dominique is a male...although that is a lot of barring, that is a tiny rose comb, what you would expect to see on a pullet at that age...I've even had the rose comb look at times pale pinkish (especially with exertion), but flat, and the bird was a female...but there should be no flesh to it at 4 weeks. The rose combs I've observed, the females don't start turning red and get "fleshy" until almost point of lay.

My thoughts.
    Lady of McCamley

7. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    I was really hoping atleast 2 of them were females...

8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    I agree-all look like males.

9. ElCerritoPlace

Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks for the input...bummer

10. WeatheredWings

WeatheredWings Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Just curious if the BLRW all turned out male? I have 15 3 week olds and am comparing pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by