in need of chicken barriers!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by feelyweely, Jan 7, 2017.

1. feelyweely

feelyweely Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2016
    So i don't have chickens yet but when i do, i need to make sure that they will stay in our yard and not go under our sheds. I need some sort of barrier that the chickens won't pass but domesticated cats can go past. (our neighbors cat is very friendly and loves to visit and have some protection under our sheds.) I need them not to go under our fence and go visit our neighbors, but the cat also needs to get under said fence. Any ideas are highly appreciated!!! thanks!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    If you have standard sized chickens rather than bantams, a fence that's about four inches off the ground will work. Pick breeds that aren't noted to range widely and fly well, and a four or five foot high fence should keep them in your yard. You do need a predator proof coop and run for their protection!!! Mary

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Even with breeds not prone to range much, yard size may still be a limiting factor. How many acres and what is distance to property boundaries. Then you have issues of how cover and other resources will influence ranging habits.

Have you thought of using a chicken tractor?

4. mizjones

mizjones Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2016
    South Carolina
    Cats don't have to go under, they can go over just as easily right? Even de-clawed cats are amazing (the one I had did). We have 3 cats that climb, everything leap or jump over/onto everything that interests them.

As for protection: hardware cloth around the base of every barrier or place they need to be kept out of, or in. It's fairly cheap, not too hard to secure to wooden posts or surfaces.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Better get big 'fat' birds...I have 'slim line' birds that could easily squeeze under a 4" high fence.
    You might have to keep your chickens fully confined until they reach adult size...to keep them in and keep the cat from eating them.

6. feelyweely

Dec 8, 2016
    @folly'splace @centrarchid @mizjones @aart So I will be making a large coop and run, and the coop will be movable! We already have a 6ft high fence and we have a shed that is about a foot above ground. While I understand that cats are hunters, I may be wrong but I don't see this cat as a threat, so I was hoping for some kind of plant that the chickens wont want to go past but the cat will be fine with passing. Also the fence is sitting about 1 inch to 6 inches above the ground, will the chickens even try to go underneath that? And will they even try to go under the shed? The breeds that I plan on purchasing are RIR, EE, barred rock, speckled Sussex, and a silver laced Wyandotte. Are those prone to ranging widely? Thanks!

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    'Large coop' and 'movable' don't really go together.
    Chicken love to go underneath things......
    .....to lounge out of the sun and precipitation, look for bug to eat, and to lay eggs.

Do not underestimate:
    -the amount of space birds need in coop and run.
    -the small openings thru which chickens, and predators, can squeeze thru.
    -the destruction of plants that chickens can wreak.
    -the carnivorous instincts of those sweet domestic pets.

8. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    EE will be a containment issue. Chicken tractor if to be used needs to be light enough to move but not for wind.

How much area in yard? So far as noted you may not have enough room.

9. feelyweely

Dec 8, 2016
    @aart @centrarchid the chickens will each have probably have around 10 square feet or more in the run. The run will be permanent and will have double doors so the coop can be moved out. The chickens will have 4-5 sq ft each in the coop. When they are let out of the of the run to free range they will have about 1/4-1/3 acre. Very true about never under estimating a cat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by