In need of coop advice

Tonupbandit

Hatching
11 Years
Jun 2, 2008
Hi all,

I'm new to this and have 10 chicks coming in a couple weeks - 6 Plymouth Rocks and 4 Rhode Island Reds! Anyway, I have an area in the bottom of my barn that is sectioned off into a 10 X 14 space that I'd like to convert into a coop. It has one south west facing wall and one northwest facing wall, both of which I figured I'd insulate with foam board and cover with plywood since it gets bitter cold here (central Vermont) in winter. I'm also building a 4.5 X 10 foot roost platform/dropping pit 18" off of the ground. I'm worried though that 10 X 14 might be too big of an area for the birds to keep warm in during the winter? Am I just being neurotic, which would be bad since the little ones haven't even arrived yet. Thanks in advance.

Well, on the one hand, no, 10 birds are not going to do all *that* much to the wintertime temperature of a 10x14 coop. However, chickens are cold hardier than you might think as long as you keep them draft-free and dry (non humid).

If you do find yourself wanting a smaller compartment for them to keep warm at night when roosting, it would be fairly simple to build a smaller enclosure (perhaps with aluminized bubblewrap, or just any ole thing you have around) around the roost area, so that their body heat is concentrated into a smaller space (with a ceiling no higher than necessary to give them clearance when roosting).

Also, if this is inside a larger barn you will get more temperature-buffering than if it were a stand-alone coop, especially if the barn is concrete- or dirt-floored or has concrete or cinderblock lower walls. To give you an idea of what I mean, last winter I had two (2
tongue.png
) hens inside a 15x40' insulated but unheated, concrete-floored building. The temperature in there never dropped below the mid to low 20s F -- and this is in Ontario, with outdoor lows down to -20 to -25 F or so. And my horse barn, which is concrete-floored but not very insulated and ventilated like a sieve
tongue.png
, only ever gets down to about 0 F (and not for long) -- WITHOUT any horses living in it (I just use the barn for hay and tack).

So I am quite sure you will be ok, and am not even certain whether you will *have* to partition off a smaller area for them.

Have fun,

Pat

Thanks much for the reply. The coop area is in the corner of a larger barn, which is well beneath the ground surface with a foundation of large granite blocks. The floor is dirt, so I figure with a lot of shavings and the insulating of the outside facing walls it shouldn't get to cold in there...hope, hope. Thanks again for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom