In need of help. Really worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by alexthefarmlady, Jul 21, 2018.

1. alexthefarmlady

alexthefarmlady Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    so today I bring me chickens out like normal and I notice my hen. And she has a swollen face And her rooster kinda has A swollen face I’m Very worried please anything you know please let me know

Attached Files:

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Have you seen any pecking going on or seen a lot of mosquitoes? There looks to be some marks of the combs from pecking/injury or possibly fowl pox.

3. alexthefarmlady

alexthefarmlady Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    I
    Have a lot of mosquitoes my backyard right now

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Looks like fowl pox to me. You'll want to have a look inside their mouths to make sure it's dry form and not wet form. If it's wet form you'll see yellow lesions in their mouths. Wet form needs to be treated, dry form can usually run it's course in otherwise heathy birds.

It's virus, so antibiotics don't cure it, but some people give a round of antibiotics to prevent secondary bacterial infections while their immune systems are compromised.

You should do the best you can to repel mosquitos from the coop and run area, but I know that's easier said than done.

I also noticed white stuff on the ear of the first bird. Could be a little fungus. Mine get that sometimes, too. Athelete's foot cream or monistat can get rid of it.

5. alexthefarmlady

alexthefarmlady Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    Well on the hen it’s only on one side of her face, she’s doing everything fine she’s laying eggs eating drinking, it happened over night I bring them in a Carrier Inside and thinking a mosquito in the carrier went in and bite them but their mouth looks normal

6. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    As long as they seem ok and no mouth lesions appear, they should get through it. My whole flock got dry pox one year, and none died, but they must have built an immunity because I haven't seen any more. Also, they could have been infected for a while before the swelling appeared.

7. alexthefarmlady

alexthefarmlady Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    Oh my. Thank you I’ll keep this Page updated

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I'll follow it. Also, you can give them certain foods or vitamins to help boost their immunity, but some of the immune boosting foods can raise their body temp. so if it's really hot out, that is something to consider. What treats do you feed them currently?

tjo804 likes this.
  9. alexthefarmlady

alexthefarmlady Chirping

Apr 20, 2017
    I just been giving them corn and rice and egg

dunnmom likes this.
  10. dunnmom

dunnmom Crowing

Mar 30, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Maybe see if you can get them to eat some garlic mixed in with something. It has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. My mom's chickens like it mixed with canned fish. My own girls didn't like that at all. I ended up giving mine turmeric mixed with applesauce as an antiviral, and they did ok with that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: