in need of home made feeder and drinker designs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by andy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. andy

andy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    hi there its been a while since i last visited,, well i am now an owner of an allotment, im currently building a coop and run,, with what ever i can get my hands on, im planning on around 30 hens,,i am going to need a big drinker and feeder as i will not be able to visit every day, i dont want to spend any more cash as i dont have alot of it,, so can any body help me and post some pics of d.i.y drinkers and feeders,,, thanky thank you

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    you will need to water your chickens daily especially on hot days unless you keep the water cool or air conditioning and when it comes to winter they will need fresh not frozen water or a heating pad.

3. andy

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    so have you got any pics,, when i say i cant visit every day,,i mean there is going to be days when i can not visit,, i should imagine that leaving water in a large drinker for 2-days with out getting changed is not going to harm the birds,, they drink out of dirty puddles and eat slimey slugs , and when the weather is hot i shall make sure it is fresh every day for them, and when it is to cold, i shall make sure the drinker is insulated, so does not freeze,,, no need for heat pads

4. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    I don't mean to be dumb, but what is an allotment. Is it like an acre or small amount of land? Someone on here had feeders made out of PVC pipe. I don't know if you can get that where you are at, but I'll check the post and get back here.[​IMG]

5. smith2

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
  6. andy

May 7, 2007
    grimsby,,,{England}
    hi there,, yes an allotment is asmall piece of land that you rent off your local council {gov},,mine is approx 250 meters square £80 a year,,people usally rent them for growing veg, there is running water and even a small shop and cafe on mine its great,,its a nice relaxing place to be,,

7. smith2

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    Okay, that is kind of neat. Kind of like renting a farm over here.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Here is one I made from a 5 gallon bucket and a drain tray from a planter.

Drill 1 inch (or the metric version of [​IMG] ) holes near the bottom of the bucket, bolt on the planter tray and you're done.

You'll probably need 3 of them for 30 chickens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
    I just made one tonight like Rooster-Red's design above and it works great. And best of all it cost me about 5% of what purchasing one from the farm store would have cost. I think he also mentioned somewhere about putting a funnel upside down in the center to direct the feed to the outsides where the holes are.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  10. julietma

julietma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    I made a truly basic feeder with things I had lying around the house. I took a quart-sized yogurt container and cut holes in it near the bottom, attached it with a short screw to a larger plastic lid (from a Cool-Whip tub). I secured the two together by poking a little hole in an unused metal screw-cap and screwing that onto the inside of the yogurt tub. I filled it with feed and put the lid on.

I rounded out the holes with my vegetable peeler. They turned out a little too big, I think. It would also work better if the base had higher sides.

This said, I have about seventy more of those yogurt containers and can continue revising my design for a long, long time to come.

[​IMG]
    Aren't the little Barred Rock pullets cute?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by