1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In Need of Information about Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lagracie88, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Lagracie88

Lagracie88 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2007
    Hey there... I currently have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 3 chickens and am considering adding 2 goats to the mix. I am thinking about either Pygmys or Mini Nigerian goats? I am strongly leaning toward females but know absolutely nothing about milking or if I need to? Can I have a female and not milk them? How does that all work?

I would like goats that are friendly and tame. They will be pets and I hope bush/brush/undergrowth eaters. Is one or the other better at that?

Is there a lot of unexpected expenses or surprises? Any help, guidance, advice would be great - I have read a lot on the subject but wanted to hear some first hand experiences......

Thanks so much!!!! [​IMG]

2. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    I am getting 3 Nigerian dwarf goats this spring and although have no first hand experience I have read a lot about them.
    They don't have to be milked. If you don't breed them they won't have milk and if you do breed them the babies can take care of the milking and when she weens them her milk will dry up.
    As far as expense I have heard that they eat less than a regular size goat. they need a good hay like alfalfa and a grain. Be careful to read labels and buy products marked for goats with no more than 16% protein. They need a mineral source (salt block) and the same applies as above check to make sure it is for goats.
    They also need annual vaccines and a regular worming schedule.
    I think I got that all right but if not someone correct me.
    Check out some sights on the web, there are some good ones.

OH OH I forgot don't take all the old timer farmers advice research for yourself and make educated choices as far as feed and vaccines if you want healthy goats.

Oh and one more thing try and find a vet in your area who will deal with goats(very hard to find) and visit a goat farm if you can to see first hand how they care for there goats

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  3. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    If you get open (not bred) female goats (does) than they'll never have milk and therefore won't need milking. If you want pets, look for does or wethers (castrated males) and make certain they're tame already.

Every animal comes with unexpected expenses. Go to www.fiascofarm.com for a lot of great husbandry advice. Feel free to PM or email me too if you'd like some one on one adivce.

4. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Pygmys are not milk goats so whether bred or not you will not have to milk them. Nigerian dwarfs are milk goats if bred they will need milked.

5. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Quote:Incorrect. No breed of anything has to be milked as long as you leave the offspring with the mothers.

(barring medical concerns or a single offspring nursing from only one side)

6. hsm5grls

hsm5grls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    tucson
    Also do a search here. I asked similar questions a month or so ago and got some good answers and web sights that i still read on regularly.

7. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Incorrect. No breed of anything has to be milked as long as you leave the offspring with the mothers.

(barring medical concerns or a single offspring nursing from only one side)

Thats true but not every goat is going to consistently have twin offspring. Occasionally young goats do not make it due to predation or other concerns. If you raise milk goats and have them breeding it is not if you will have to milk them but when.

8. helmstead

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I'm very sorry but you are simply not correct here. I have Mini Nigi milk goats who primarily have singleton births. They do not need milked. This past spring one of our does lost her kid, and we let her dry up with no complications or milking.

This statement:
    " Nigerian dwarfs are milk goats if bred they will need milked."
    is simply misinformation.

9. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    the thing i was most surprised to learn was that dogs are a bigger common predator than coyotes. so, to pay attention if even a neighbors otherwise sweet dog comes snooping around on a regular basis. if they come back with other dogs, it can be bad for the goats.

as far as the goats themselvs, tehy don't like to be petted from above the face like a dog. has to do with their vision, i think. if they know you, then later they won't care. but can make them skittish at first. all of mine like being scratched on the back, though. especially with a stick. my one nieghbor said, look, she always takes a stick to her goats. the other said, no but look, the goats run TOWARDS the stick. lol.

also, they can be picky about eating stuff off the ground which i wouldn't have realized. though chickesn are happy about taht.

mine like to pick through their hay a lot. i honestly cant afford to waste good hay. so now i mix in a little straw with it, so that they have something to pick through which they seem to want to do by nature. sometimes they eat the straw, sometimes they waste it, but regardless it's cheaper.

good luck and enjoy. [​IMG]

10. 1acrefarm

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by