In Need Of Reassurance Please Re: Winter

scjcb37

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2017
I know this topic has been covered, but I am looking to find information/reassurance on my specific coop and conditions. I have 6 girls (TSC, said they are isa brown and black sexlinks). We built the 'daisy coop' for them. The walls, floor and roof are made of plywood sheets, no insulation. The roof is shingled, they have deep bedding and a roosting bar with a poop board attached underneath. They all sleep on the roosting bar together. Do you keep food and water in the coop in winter, I have been told both yes definitely and no way.? We live in Otsego County, NY where it has already been in the low 30's at night. I am VERY worried about doing what is best for my girls. Can someone please chime in here and let me know if they will be ok through winter. Should I put up some insulation inside the coop? The roof is high enough that I can put a heat lamp that they can not reach if needed. Any advice on what I should and should not be doing for them will be highly appreciated
TIA, Chrissy

Hi Chrissy, @rjohns39 has made some good points about keeping chickens in winter.

As for keeping water and food in the coop, to me that depends on how big your coop is, but others may have different opinions. I would not put a heat lamp inside...there have been cases where coop fires occurred wiping out entire flocks as well as the structure.

We get pretty cold winters here in WY and this is my first winter here with chickens (I used to keep them in FL which is a whole different scenario). I have a heated waterer that is available to the flock in their run and even with the low teen's temps we've had, it has done a good job keeping their water unfrozen. You might want to check this out for ideas on waterers for winter:water-in-the-winter.1203768

Best of luck to you!

As stated, dry is much more important than warm. Your breed will do fine in a draft free coop till low temperatures you will probably never realize in your location.

To keep the coop dry, you will need proper draft free ventilation.

How big is your coop?
How much ventilation do you have in square feet?

Pictures always help.

My coop is very well ventilated.
I keep food and water inside 24/7.
Never an issue.

Thank you for all the responses!
The answers to your questions..the coop has 32sq ft of floor space (not counting the roosts or nesting boxes that are on the outside and do not take up floor space). If you can see in the pictures the soffet on the opposite side of the roosts is open for ventilation. The side where the roosts are is closed off. I also just purchased a heated waterer. Hope I answered all the questions and that the pictures help. Thank you again, Chrissy
20170822_092313.jpg
20170822_092250.jpg
20170822_092433.jpg
20171019_163811.jpg

I would nix the heat lamp.
Add some gable vents.
Roost looks a bit high,
better to lower it away from vents and have to cover nests,
and not long enough for 6 birds.
Best heated waterer is one with horizontal nipples inside the coop,
doesn't add to humidity.
Biggest winter concern here is the run roof holding snow,
would be good to prop that up with some posts and figure out how to rake snow off.

TY aart, will lower the roosts (there are actually 2, one in front of the other door, but they all roost together on the 1.) Cover nests? How should I do this? What is not long enough, the coop or the roosts? As for the roof and the snow, I have a roof rake that we use on the house, so I can make sure to use it on the coop as well. TY for taking the time to answer my questions and help me and my girls out,
Chrissy

Well, I figured coop was 4x8(assumed-maybe incorrectly) so roost appears to be 4' long. Roosts are best at at least 1' per bird for full grown birds.

Nests might not need to be covered, only if they start roosting (sleeping) in them after lowering the roosts. I added a hinged cover, look in my 'nests' album.

Stick a couple, few, or more, 2x4 posts under your run roof framing.
I have to do this too, I just jam them between mesh and ground over the winter.
You might need scaffolding to use a roof rake? :D
That's a tall and wide roof span.
Try it out the rake reach, now, before you need it. BTDT.

I know this topic has been covered, but I am looking to find information/reassurance on my specific coop and conditions. I have 6 girls (TSC, said they are isa brown and black sexlinks). We built the 'daisy coop' for them. The walls, floor and roof are made of plywood sheets, no insulation. The roof is shingled, they have deep bedding and a roosting bar with a poop board attached underneath. They all sleep on the roosting bar together. Do you keep food and water in the coop in winter, I have been told both yes definitely and no way.? We live in Otsego County, NY where it has already been in the low 30's at night. I am VERY worried about doing what is best for my girls. Can someone please chime in here and let me know if they will be ok through winter. Should I put up some insulation inside the coop? The roof is high enough that I can put a heat lamp that they can not reach if needed. Any advice on what I should and should not be doing for them will be highly appreciated
TIA, Chrissy
Delaware county NY here. Suggestions here are pretty good, ventilation is the best thing. No insulation though it wouldn't hurt just unnecessary. No heat. I keep food/water in the coop, some don't like to.
For reassurance, I have naked necks and in a one side completely open coop, no problems whatsoever. I'll be feeding them in the dead of winter bundled up and freezing, they'll be flapping their wings exposing their half bare breasts laughing at me Lol!

Thank you stain aart, it is very much appreciated. I am 'hoping my husband will get the roof on the run before the snow flies. Crossing my fingers, but if he doesnt i will use his lumber to reinforce the run. Im very quickly realising this coop and run are going to be a never-ending project as i already want to expand the run, add more roosting bars and add...and add...lol. If you would have told me a few years ago I would be this crazy in love with chickens I wouldnt have imagined it, lol. Love my girls! TY again for taking the time to help...

Well, I figured coop was 4x8(assumed-maybe incorrectly) so roost appears to be 4' long. Roosts are best at at least 1' per bird for full grown birds.

Nests might not need to be covered, only if they start roosting (sleeping) in them after lowering the roosts. I added a hinged cover, look in my 'nests' album.

Stick a couple, few, or more, 2x4 posts under your run roof framing.
I have to do this too, I just jam them between mesh and ground over the winter.
You might need scaffolding to use a roof rake? :D
That's a tall and wide roof span.
Try it out the rake reach, now, before you need it. BTDT.

Back
Top Bottom