in need of some genetic advice -'pearl grey' (?) cuckoo orpingtons?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by spish, Jan 5, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    its a 'new' colour here in belgium 'parelgrijs koekoek orpingtons' they are gorgeous.(sorry dont know what you'd call them in the states/uk) there is supposedly only 2 breeders who raise these out here.

now i happen to be in contact with one....i bought my roo Goliath from her (cuckoo roo who also carries the pearlgrey gene)...and now she has offered to sell me goliaths mother "Janna" (grey cuckoo) and another hen from the flock 'Saartje' (blue laced hen possibly lavender?) she wanted to carry on with this breed herself but her rooster (goliaths father - also cuckoo) died a few weeks back after being attacked...and seeing as she'd sold her only other cuckoo roo to me she couldnt carry on (she only has black roos left and i wont sell goliath, he's our family pet)

she has told me if i breed Goliath back to his mum it will result in lots of pearl grey offspring with the occasional cuckoo thrown out.....she asking €30 for Janna (about £25 i think) this is a lot of money to me...but would be a great earner if they do churn out little pearl grey orpingtons...but i dont know if this womans talking bull (just to get me to buy these expensive birds) or whether she really wants me to continue the line of colour?

does any one know what the chances are of the chicks being pearl grey? and what would i be getting if i bred Goliath to Saartje the blue laced/lavender hen?

i have pics of all three but cant upload them...i can send them via email if anyone could upload them for me ? edit - nevermind got them uploaded in #2

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Janna
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saartje
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goliath
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    lavender cuckoo? you'll get less than 50-50 result if you breed him back to his mum or the other lav cuckoo hen as he doesn't seem to be homozygous for bar... but if you have lavender orp roo, this will give you 50% lav cuckoo and 50% lav bred to the lav cuckoo hens.

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    sadly he's my only orp roo i have so i have no choice but to breed with him until i get some little roo's off him [​IMG]

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so what would i get if i bred him and his mum (if it wont be many lavender) will they be mostly cuckoo? black? blue? some mix in between?

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    25% lav cuckoo will be your best result mated to those lav hens... non-lav offsprings will be split for lav...

if you mate him with those blue and black... then your chances are even lower..

7. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    many many thanks for your answers, im not so great when it comes to genetics but am slowly trying to learn the basics.
    so what colour would the non lav offspring possibly be? would i be stuck with some awful off colour or would the other 3/4 be just cuckoo?

8. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They look like Cuckoo Orpingtons. The hen looks like a Cuckoo Lavender.
    I have a couple I am just starting out with that I got from a friend. Very nice birds!

Here are mine. Their just barely 6 months old.

[​IMG]

My better cockerel
    [​IMG]
    Another who may stick around for a while
    [​IMG]

9. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    beautiful birds [​IMG])

10. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps