1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In Nest All Day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Oneofeach, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oneofeach

Oneofeach New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    Hello everyone
    I have a hen who is a new layer (about 3 weeks or so) and today she spend most of the day in the nesting box. She seemed happy and is preening herself but this has never happened with any of her 30 "sisters". Should I be concerned? I haven't checked for an egg under her yet.

thanks!

2. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    Maybe she's decided to go broody already? What breed is she?

3. AngryHummingbird

AngryHummingbird Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    Does she fluff up and get upset when you try and move her? If yes I would guess she's feeling broody. Even typically 'non broody' breeds can go broody, as my production red likes to prove...

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Is she on the nest at night instead of roosting?

5. Oneofeach

Oneofeach New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    She was still in the box earlier this evening when everyone else was starting to roost. Haven't checked again so far tonight. thanks!

6. Oneofeach

Oneofeach New Egg

Jul 31, 2011
    She is a 6 month old Golden Comet. She will let me pet her and doesn't seem to get upset with me at all

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she's on the nest at night instead of roosting and all day, she's broody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by