In new coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ava321, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Ava321

Ava321 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    Hi guys- I have two fenced in areas. One has the big coop with my older chicks and the other has a small coop with my new chicks. A friend of ours raised them for us and they are feathered. They spent one night in their new home but I am worried about leaving them in there. Can I let them outside the coop? It is secure and fenced and separate from the big girls? I just don't want them to get too hot. It's going to be 80 today. Do they need to stay in the coop since it is their first whole day in this coop or can I let them walk around in the enclosure? Please help!!

2. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    I have never locked my birds in the coop to show them where they should go at night. They just get walked there or carried there and they figure it out within a few days. Since you have a run, just let them out and herd them into the coop at night if you need to for a few nights. They'll figure it out quick enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I live in a very hot area too. 107 today. It likely will also be too hot for yours to stay inside the coop, however if your run does not have a covered roof and shade it might be a better choice of the too. Make sure they have plenty of cool water. Here is what i do... my run is attached to my large hen house and a sling door i pull up lets them out into the run. My run is covered with a roof for shade, i take tightly woven shade cloth, 98% UV resistant(Amazon purchase) and wrap the cloth around the side of the run from top to bottom. I also place a large Box fan inside the run and run it on 2. Then we place a person mister (2 jets) (home depot) and keep it on where the fan blows the light mist and it acts like a swamp cooler of sorts. This set up keeps our 11 girls cooler and from panting on hot 107-110 degree days. Its really worked great thank God! Hope this gives you some ideas and helps you out a bit. Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  4. Ava321

Ava321 Just Hatched

Jul 2, 2016
    Thank you both!! Very helpful and great information. My coop is fence covered and under giant trees! Chicks look happy!!! Yeah! Thanks again!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by