In Northern NY, I need fertile eggs! Broody Hen!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LogCabinChicks, Mar 6, 2015.

1. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Hi all! I'm in upstate NY and I have my first broody hen! Looking to buy fertile eggs locally or where ever you suggest I should purchase from online. I really wasn't sure I was going to do this until now...she's been on the nest for 6+ hours and when I closed up the coop at dark she was still there. She has today's egg under her...about 12. I do have 10 chickens that at on their 4th spring so I assume they will slow their laying this year...In my brain..this is perfect timing...what do you suggest is my best options. As always, thanks for your suggestions!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Where about in Upstate NY?

3. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    Watertown!

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I'm in Gouverneur. My sister is in LaFargeville and they raise chickens, I could call her tomorrow and see if they have any or will have any that may be fertile for hatching. I know during the winter her egg production is cut way down. (The have roughly 100 chicks. My 8 chickens I hatched from her eggs. For the most part they are mixes. I had to rehome 5 other roos as well.) I am getting a dozen spitzhaubens and 2 dozen mixes from a lady here in my area next week for the Easter hatch.

5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My turken roo in my avatar pick is one of my hatchlings from my sister's flock.

6. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    My husband works at the jail by you..that would be great if you could find out..I'll take anything she may have at $1 per egg ( I think that maybe a good price???) I understand the roo/hen ratio...I lost the luck of the draw last spring at TSC... 6 chicks...4 roos 2 hens ...lol. I just want my broody hen to do what she wants to do....be a momma!

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. Yeah I hatched out 13, one of my little turkens died at just over a week which left me with 12 chicks. 7 of them were roos....lol Plus I have my first chicken from a bad hatch, he was an only and has some developement issues from the delayed development in the egg.

They are mixed (at least the probability is) if she has any. I will give her a call in the morning and then pm you with her number if she will have any. I ended up w/two silkies (one hen one roo) 2 nns (turkens-one hen and one roo) 2 polish silkie mixes (beautiful-one hen one roo and the roo was so beautiful, but I didn't keep him, now I wish I did) the rest were regular mixes. I kept all the girls so on top of the polish, silkie and nn I have a black hen and a beautiful white hen that is a silkie cross as it has the 5 toes and lightly feathered feet.

They are talking about reducing their flock and moving away from raising them, so if you are looking for established layers they will probably be looking to off shoot them too soon.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh, and I don't think she charges that much for the mixed eggs for incubating/hatching.

9. LogCabinChicks

May 3, 2014
    I started out wanting 6... last spring....(hahaha, who keeps JUST 6) .I have 18 after losing 5 to coccidiousis this winter...my first winter...lesson learned on heating my coop. All the lessons learned and illnesses are here on BYC...I love this board. I'm very sad about being a bad chicken momma ....but learned so much.

So, like I said, I wanted 6 ended up with MORE LAYING HENs than I wanted...but love them all. AND we added meat chickens and TURKEYS in the FIRST YEAR!!! lol they are so addictive. So,...10 of those hens are on their 4th spring...soon to stop laying....hatch now...replace the loss. :)

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yeah, I just wanted a few for some eggs, now I'm like, oh, I want some of those, and those look cool too...lol Now I'm wanting to breed them... yeah, addicting. I pm'd you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by