In or Out - Cruel to leave a dog outdoors? Opinions Are Appreciated!

i have a doggy door, if they want to go outside, they know where the door is, but if they come inside, they better get on their bed. They do not run all over my house. They also have a doggy door to the basement, thats where 2 of the 4 sleep, i keep it pretty hot in my house.

OH yeah, I see nothing wrong with having an outside dog, as a kid ours never came inside, till my mom got a dashound(I hated that dog), then some did come inside. We had 3 Saint Bernards, and only one wanted to stay inside, the other two would ask to go out, and go set at the gate to get back into thier pen. Now we have 3 that are indoors most of the time, except when they want out. Bathroom breaks, and when they decide to lay on the sidewalk and sunbath, but can come inside whenever they want. If I was using the dog as a true working dog, I wouldn't have a problem with it, as a herding dog/ staying with the animals etc... but for now dogs are part of the family, and are inside.

Ok...I look at it like this: "is it bad to leave the squirrels and opposums & deer & rabbit outside? ANSWER: No. Why: They belong outside. Yes, some of these animals built nests to protect them from weather, But have you ever seen a DEER NEST? No. I know this, because I hunt.

We also build nests for our not-so handy friends---they are DOG HOUSES.

Some are inferior--yes. Some are Grand. It depends on how much money you want to spend on them or how much you have to spend on them. I've seen super nice HEATED/COOLED dog houses, and I've seen "are you freaking kidding me" dog houses.

It depends on the dog....or cat...or what have-you pet.

My house is pet friendly. Right now, I have a dog, a cat, 2 ferrets, 2 turtles, a snake, and several quail in my house. That is not the total of my animals.

One dog was ejected from the house because he finds linoleum tasty. Three cats were kicked out because they prefer the carpet to the litterbox.

It really depends on the animal's ability to respect your home, and your desire to adapt to the animal's habits.

If the animal does not harm your house, and you can live with the animal inside, I'd say all is merry. Have it in your house. You may find a companion that you are well suited for.

This is what I would ask:

Is this dog to be a pet?

Or

Is this dog to be livestock?

Some see them as pets and thus part of the family, others see them as livestock or helping hands thus have a job, and part of that job is to be outside.

I have a blend of indoor and outdoor, 5 of the dogs stay out most of the day unless it's raining, too hot (100+), too cold (below freezing), or they start annoying my dog hating neighbors, while in they mostly stay in the laundry room and I always bring them in at night to the laundry room. My exception is Kelvin, he has CRF and a few other old age problems, he doesn't do well outside and since his remaining time is measured in months, he was rescued and from what we can tell he was severely neglected and abused before... well he gets a free pass to the couch where he sleeps most the day away. He deserves it.

Quote:
I agree with this statement. I, all my life, have had dogs inside. Not we have those abandonded pups that were raised with the goats. The do just fine outside! However the two girls recent fail makes me wonder..... We are getting rid of the two trouble makers and are praying the lone male adjusts. He is the one that ahngs out with the goats the most and has not participated in trying to kill the fowl.

i have a possum, Petunia, she is blind, she sleeps indoors. She uses a litter box like a cat and eats dog food, other than that she pretty cool, I just hate to empty the litter box.

I've volunteered in the field of dog rescue for more than 10 years and feel that I should chime in with a few points to ponder. My family and I have fostered over 300 dogs we pulled from humane societies and hard luck situations and found homes for them...it is our hobby. We have seen the "discard" dogs from situations where things did not work out and have heard all the stories and reasons why the dog had to "go". In most cases the dog was just acting like a dog or like the type of dog it was bred to be.

I agree with many of the comments already set forth and for the most part think the idea of getting one outdoor dog is a poor one.

Dogs are distinct individuals and even within the same breed there will be wide variations, but all dogs need to be a part of a group. Two outdoor dogs would do better than one, and it is true that certain heavy coated dogs are just too warm inside and prefer to be outdoors alot of the time. Some guardian breeds were designed to stay, for instance, with their flock and these types of dogs are not as needy for attention. They have a group, their flock.

The average dog, however, including shepherds and border collies, need to be a part of a family. Most families just do not spend enough time outside especially in winter. Research your breed and learn what it was designed for. Shepherds and border collies were bred to work very closely with their owners. I personally own a border collie who would shudder at the thought of living outdoors....too far away from the people! And we are currently fostering a wonderful shepherd who is so grateful to be allowed inside a house finally, he is the perfect boy.

Outdoor dogs should have fenced yards, never chains. Chain should be the absolute last resort.

Dogs left outside are going to naturally want to find a "pack" to hang out with and will more likely to dig out and roam, bark, etc. Neutering male dogs helps keep them home and spaying your female will help keep the boy dogs from coming to visit!

If you do get or want an outdoor dog, you want one that has never known about being inside because that will be all it will want, to come inside like the other dog.

In the 350 plus dogs I have lived with at one time or another, we have found about three that preferred to live outdoors. All had very heavy coats, just as the person who posted above me remarked, double coated dogs. Make sure you pick your dog carefully, very carefully, and have a "plan B" in mind for what happens if the dog does not work out.

Incidentely I am not bothered at all by the fact you want a protector. That is what dogs were originally bred for and is still their purpose, even if we find them useful as companions as well. Also, it is good you are thinking this through carefully prior to bringing home a dog.

One final point, as a chicken owner, you want your dog to have a low prey drive. As someone who "matches" folks to dogs for a hobby, you are describing here what you would call a real tough match if you were looking amongst rescued dogs such as on Petfinder.com.
I think your best bet would be a get a poodle like the other BYC person said! They really don't shed hardly at all.
Or let your HUSBAND pick the dog, he will be more tolerant of the one he chooses.
Hope that helps!

Arin, newbie chicken owner, expert dog rescuer
Okay I'll get off my soapbox now!

I have a pet door as well...which leads to the laundry room. There it ends..unless you are tiny. The walker dog decided to tear up the linoleum..the chihuahua..didn't. He has run of the house because he respects it.

There is another gate...

The cats get in...3/4 poop in the floor.

3/4 will find another place to live soon. I will not have poop in the floor when there is a good litterbox that is cleaned daily. Those are OUTDOOOR CATS..or euthanized cats...they pick...if they refuse to stay outdoors & poop in my carpet...to the vet they go.

Back
Top Bottom