IN OUR PAPER TODAY: "Sometimes, It Takes A Goat To Raise A Villiage"

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by d.k, Jul 5, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    What a great story animals are definitley beneficial to all. [​IMG]

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Glad you liked it. Even DH moped his eyes a bit after reading it. [​IMG]:aww

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I was just reading about the Heifer organization. I think ninjapoodles had posted a thread on the Everything Else Chicken page yesterday or the day before.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

-Kim

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* That was the first I had heard of it. Made me think a little of the gift of a small herd of cattle given to the people of New York as a sympathy gift by African tribesmen after 9-11. THAT really got me in a soft spot, too.

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    that is a wonderful story,
    but I can't help thinking that the author of the book Beatrice's goat Should have contributed something to her education, Since it became a best seller and she/he made a fortune off it.

7. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    We have long supported Heifer International. Rather than give large gifts at Christmas, we give small, homemade gifts, then make donations to the Heifer Project in family members names - flocks of chickens or ducks, bunnies, hives of bees, goats, pigs, etc. My son's 8th grade class (a few years back) held a fundraiser for Heifer International and had a great time afterward deciding what animals to give. They have a great reputation, and I like how it grows to support the village - when the original animals give birth, their offspring is passed on to someone else in the village so they may benefit, and so on.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story.
    Liz

8. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    A wonderful story and I truly am glad for her, BUT I can't help but be upset. Upset that she took a US childs "free" education, upset that she got a great education and then LEFT THE US to go back. She is bettering our country. I find it so sad that so many people help other countries 1st when there are so many in need here. I truly am glad she has a life now, but I see so much poverty and these kids never get a chance like that. Don't you think she "owes" it to the US to stay and better this country seeing her country wouldn't do a darn thing for her? THis is why our Economic state is a mess! We educate and better others and they take full advantage of that and then leave! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by