1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

IN OVER MY HEAD release chickens into peacock territory

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peafowlmom, Aug 9, 2011.

1. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    These are mine, my husband raised the older birds, but i want to take better care than he did. We lost all except Mr. Rooster from our last flock. I have 16 Golden Laced Cochin Bantams an 7 Easter egg chicks 12 weeks old. They need released to the whole yard where there is an adult male peacock, adult female peahen, also their son 1 yr 3months, and 1 adult Old English Bantam. 2 dogs harmless to birds let out at night to keep predators both 2or 4 legged out. Is there a trick to get them back in their coop. Oh, I also have 5 week and 4wk old peachicks on my porch ready to get out but they are sooo much smaller than the other birds. Everyone I know just says let them out and see what happens. That is not what I want to do. I have a real attachment to them but their space is no longer big enough to keep them in all the time. They are intended for free ranging. PLease help.THE YARD IS !.9 ACRES trees to the back and sides of fence line, corn fields to the front of fence line

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    How big of an area are you talking about? It could make all the difference in getting answers/help/suggestions.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Are they in a coop right now? If so, how long have they been there? If they've been in for a couple of weeks, they *should* (mine always have, anyway) put themselves back in when it gets close to bedtime. Maybe you can leave a light on in their coop if they don't go in right away to get them in. (I've never had to do that, but I've read about it on BYC, and people say it works)

4. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Thank you! They have been out a few days and are doing well. I could not get one of my bantams in though. She's a hen and we have a rooster,Old English Bantam, gray hair and all. I think he will take care of her. Maybe tomorrow she'll come in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by