In Praise of California Whites

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mtnhomechick, Aug 22, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Don't hear much about them on here. If you like large to xlarge white eggs and birds that want to be on your shoulder.........get some. Boring in color I agree.........but personality makes up for it. I have a ball with mine.

2. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Yours is the first information I've read about their personalities.

I had thought they might be like my very flighty & stand-offish like my two white leghorns that are not so nice to have around. I think I would like some of yours much better! [​IMG]

3. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I have 10. I just love them. I don't hear much on here about them but I have two on my shoulders at a time. One we call Chatty Cathy because she just talks to me the whole time I am in the coop or run.

I honestly think most prefer brown egg layers, which I have many of but we got these because my dh wanted white eggs.........like it really mattered. Funny.

These Cal. Whites are quite entertaining and daily egg layers.

4. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    BTW.........I have a brown Leghorn that is a good layer also but very skittish. Cal. whites seem much more personable.

5. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Quote:Well, now I will definitely be considering some of them in the spring-time~~I love friendly chickens especially ones my children can "pet," too! Thanks for the great infomation. [​IMG]

6. mtnhomechick

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    And remember they are a sex link just like the red stars, black stars and golden comets. They were bred to LAY. Actually, my red sex links are cool too. Just mentioned the Cal. whites because I never read much about them here.

7. sovia

sovia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Black Hills of SD
    mtnhomechick:

I have two California whites - about 18 weeks old. I, too, have found very little information regarding them.

I got them because my youngest daughter thinks white eggs are something special since we never have any! Anyhow, I wouldn't say mine are super friendly, but I haven't found them to be skittish or a nuisance at all. I can't wait for those big eggs!

8. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Can you post pictures? I would love to see them. Thanks!

9. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I want to get a couple for white eggs (for a rainbow in the carton) and the dalmation look-nice to hear that they are nice too

10. Rachel'sFlock

Rachel'sFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

I see how long ago you posted this, but I am new to California Whites and was wondering if you knew, when they are a couple weeks old, do even pullets have a larger comb? Or is my pullet probably a cockeral by mistake? (I bought them sexed, but you know, things happen...)
    As a sex linked bird, does that mean the cockerals look different than the pullets upon hatching?
    Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by