In quite a dilemma...kind of baffled

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PetesMom, Mar 28, 2012.

1. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    I currently have 1 pekin Drake....and as of 2 days ago 2 muskovys (male and female). A couple months ago we noticed our Pekin Drake, Pete. Started this "spinning" thing. It pains me to see him do it because I have no idea whats wrong with him. He will literally spin in circles. He has been alone most of his life, raised inside with my dogs...but he was outside all winter by himself in his "coop" I was think MAYBE boredom or something? He does it on dry ground and in his pool. We recently (saturday) moved him to my boyfriends parents house who has chickens we thought they would keep him company, then a couple days ago we bought 2 muskovy ducks, about a year old same as him, thinking they would keep him company....they want really nothing to do with him except sharing the pool every now and then, and they really arent friendly lol Pete, the pekin, will come when hes called and cuddle up with you but they won't get too close. Anyways any ideas on the spinning? He spins, then grabs feathers and literally pulls himself around..... Here is a video of him doing it in his pool

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Could he have worms? It looks as though he is trying to get an itch or something and just cant reach it, which leads me to think its something with his behind.

3. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Thats what the vet thought but it depends each time he goes into one of these fits...he either goes for his hind end or the spot right before his wing....and he will grab his feathers and he won't let go of them

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    He does look rather like he is trying to get at something that is bugging him rather than self distructive boredom...have you checked him over really well for mites or other nasties? how is the rest of his behavior?

5. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Other then this spinning he seems fine...still the happy friendly duck that thinks hes a dog. He eats great and drinks great too. Hes my first duck..thats why I am here with these questions

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    My first guess is also that there is something itching, stinging or paining him. Are there spiders, ants or other biting or stinging critters in the coop?

I always give extra vitamins when a duck is having trouble. Maybe you want to do that in any case.

7. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    What kind of vitamins would you give a duck? I still feed him grower/finisher (Dumor) I guess I should have done more research on ducks before I got any :( I have a lot to learn before I receive the 10 more I just ordered from Metzer..

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I like to use Nutri Drench and i have seen Amiga reccommend it also. You can get it at Tractor Supply or order on line. It is awesome stuff. Might be just what Pete needs. and as for him and the muscovies it will take some time for them to become a group, When you get your new ducklings be sure to make special time for Pete, him being alone most of his life will make it a little harder for him to get use to others of his kind but I think in the long run it's just waht Pete needs. I had a duckling in my home for the first 3 months of his life, when his mama rejected him, we have 9 other muscovies so it wasn't like he wasn't ever around other ducks but he was in the house with my husband and our 4 dogs so he pretty much thought he was a puppy, He is now almost 10 months old and has fully intergrated in with the other ducks but still likes to come in and snuggle with me, I do think that Pete being raised like he has can cause some problems because he's not sure whar he is, so having other ducks is going to help him through this. As for the spinning it could be nurological and hopefully something like the Nutri drench will help him get over it. All the best, and yes research is the best way to be prepared.

9. PetesMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Thank you Miss Lydia, I feel like a terrible duck mom :(

10. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't think anyone could accuse you of that. You have obviously cared for your duck very well and are trying to do the very best for him now. You took him to the vet to try to get help for him and now you are asking here to get help - that's what a good, caring owner does.

The spinning may be neurological, as Miss Lydia suggested. Did the vet mention that possibility?

I do agree with you that it could also be boredom. Getting more ducks was a good idea, although it will take time since the two you got are bonded to each other and at the moment 'three's a crowd'.

Let us know how things go over time [​IMG] You are doing a good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by