In search of indian runner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by justallroses, Sep 30, 2016.

1. justallroses

justallroses New Egg

Dec 7, 2015
    Hello! We have recently rescued our very first indian runner drake from a poultry farm on craigslist. We're no sure how old he is, and he is very (reasonably) scared of people. We built him a nice duck house off the back of our shed. He seems very happy there and loves his little swimming pool and getting a bowl of fresh grain food. We are interested in getting a female indian runner, or same sized duck, to keep him company and also warmth with the upcoming winter weather. Ideally, the female will be a few months old and come from a nice home where there wasn't a reason to be terrified of people. We were hoping that once the female runner warmed up enough to us, maybe take a treat out of our hand, the drake would see that there's nothing to be afraid of...he is too timid to even forage around the yard. I leave the duck house door open for a few hours every afternoon but he won't roam more than a few feet away. We live in Uncasville, Connecticut and have been looking online for a few weeks with no leads yet. If you know anyone that has ducks for sale in our area, please let me know!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I think you should post your questions on the "Duck thread." they would understand what you are going through with your duck. They would be in the best position to suggest how to integrate a new addition considering HIS shyness. Just put "duck thread," in the search box and it will pop up.

3. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a nice beginning ducks, maybe the little guy just needs some time to get used to his new home. Once you have a certain number of posts (20 I believe?), you can use the buy-sell-trade forum here on BYC.

Good luck and thanks for joining us!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    PS since your duck is doing well and seems happy with his life as is. Maybe it would be a mistake to add another. It may be better to provide him with a shelter for the winter- ducks seems to go out on the worst days. He may be just fine.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

8. Welcome to BYC!

Ah, yes.the good old drake.i have a IR female duck and recintly lost my male.post a thread in "ducks"

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens! Thank you for joining us today, and congrats on the duck! I do not know a ton about ducks, but I do know that a companion is a must for him, so I am glad you are in search of one! I had a mutt duck (Though he had some runner in him) that had a buddy all of his life with us, though sometimes they would fly away (Then we started clipping wings), then the neighbors dog would eat one, but that duck always got so lonely in between the time he lost one and got another. And I suggest 2 gallon rubber tubs for watering them in the winter, since they are rubber, you can easily turn them over and stomp the ice out, and they love having room to dabble in them. I also found my ducks fared very well in the winter, developing beautiful plush coats of feathers with plenty of down! Good luck on your quest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by