In search of the perfect biscuit recipe!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by happyhen, Jun 15, 2008.

1. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Light, fluffy and foolproof enough that even a Northerner can't fail! All my attempts so far have been disappointing, to say the least! [​IMG]

I figure with all the great cooks here at byc, someone can help me? [​IMG]

2. ruby

ruby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Gold Hill, Alabama
    ya want to go from scratch look in fannie farmer cookbooks. It take a lot of practice, to learn mixing biskits, and wither you roll or drop them. Being old I use Pioneer baking mix, the buttermilk kind. Try not to knead the dough too much and bake em hot. I roll them my hands. don't give up:p[​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

1 small bag self rising flour ( I think it's a 1 pounder I use RedBand)
    1 pint buttermilk.(you can use a little more if they are too stiff)

Mix well. Roll out on a dusted board. Cut. Bake 425 until golden. Can't be any easier.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  4. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Go to the grocer and get a bag of Mary B's frozen biscuits. I can't make them any better and they are so good.

5. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Buttermilk biscuits
    2 cups flour
    1 tbl baking powder
    3/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    5 tbl shortening (cold)
    1 cup buttermilk
    Preheat 425 degrees
    mix flour, baking powder, salt, soda. Cut in shortening until coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk until dough forms, knead dough lighty until smooth. Pat dough on floured surface, cut with busicut cutter. Bake 12 minutes.
    I'm from sourthern Arkansas. These are easy to make and great to eat.

6. painter chick

painter chick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Leelanau county MI
    This James Beard recipe is the best and extremely simple I use it for chicken and biscuits or with sausage gravy, mmm I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!

2c all-purpose flour
    1 t salt
    1 T baking powder
    2t sugar
    1 to 1 1/2 c heavy cream (I've used half&half)
    1/3 c melted butter
    Per heat oven to 425

Mix the dry ingredients fluffy with a fork, add 1 c cream stirring constantly, dough is ready when it holds togeather is shaggy and feels tender, if it's too dry just add small amounts of liquid till it holds

Melt butter in a shallow bowl

Knead on a lightly floured surface for a minute pat into a square 1/2" thick cut into squares dip into melted butter covering all sides w butter place on baking sheet & bake for 15 minutes

Not exactly a weight watcher recipe but oh so good and I only bake them when I need or want some comfort food

7. Biddieacres

Biddieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I used to live down south and I miss the sausage gravy they would put over biscuits. Do you have a recipe for your sausage gravy so I could try it myself?

8. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i am a stay at home mom and have tried plenty of homemade biscuit recipe's this is the best one and my husband and four children agree. i can't take credit for it though, it is from harold webster and his complete venison cookbook. there is also a sausage and gravey recipe in there the book has 407 pages of recipe's we bought it at the Bass Pro Shop.

anyway's here is the recipe: kentucky biscuits

2 c all purpose flour
    2 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    dash of salt
    1 tblsp. granulated sugar
    1/2 c butter or shortening (i use shortening)
    3/4 c buttermilk
    1 tbsp melted butter

mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl. cut in butter or shortening with a pastry blender or fork. Add buttermilk. Mix quickly to make a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. knead a few times to make soft dough, don't over knead or biscuits will be hard and dry. roll out into a square with rolling pin. place on baking sheet. with a knife cut dough into 12 even portions but do not seperate or cut all the way through. bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 15 minutes. you can dust biscuits lightly it says with flour as soon as they come out of the oven and take a pastry brush and brush with butter before they go into the oven and right after they come out. serve with jam, jelly, honey or syrup!

yummy!!!!! i am sure they are not fattening at all :)

wendy

9. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have never been able to make a good gravy. I hope someone elso will give a receipe. I will try it. We have a freezer full of fresh home raised pork.[​IMG]

10. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I'm from a family of mighty good biscuit makers - but I didn't inherit the gene. Like, why bother making biscuits when everyone around me makes excellent ones:lol: I do, however, have one good tip: don't use the baking powder with aluminum in it, it adds a bitter taste. I use Rumford but I'm sure there's other around (but not Clabber girl).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by