In The Absence of a Rooster, can hens ever crow???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SandyC, Aug 24, 2007.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I THOUGHT I had all pullets, but my two white Buffs have started crowing. It isn't very loud and they only do it when I come into their coop. They are about 20 weeks old and are larger than my americaunas hens. I am getting suspicious though. I have looked at some pictures of White Buff Roosters, but I just can't be sure. Any thoughs?

2. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    do you have a picture?

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

A picture can be worth a thousand words.[​IMG]
    I DID have a crowing hen, but she was a true Hermaphrodite. One in a million and I didn't buy a lottery ticket.[​IMG]
    Buff is a colour not a breed, just so you know...[​IMG]
    If you have White Orpingtons or White Rocks, they're a heavy breed so that may not mature as fast as your EE's.

4. SandyC

THanks for the correction on color! OK...I have White Orpingtons. I am pretty sure they are roosters now. I wll see if I can get a picture, but from what my chicken friend told me to look for on them, I think someone goofed!!!!

5. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Even if you get sexed chicks at a hatchery there's a 75% chance that you will get girls, but there's still that 25% of a boy slipping through.
    You're welcome.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Do they have the beginnings of spurs on their legs?

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I have a hen who has spurs...I know it's a hen because of her feathering and the fact she lays eggs, so it's not always just roos who have spurs.

8. SandyC

Hmmm...I am pretty sure they are roosters. I am going to get a picture and post it.

9. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    I thought for a little while that I had a crowing hen, but that was just when I was in Rooster denial. [​IMG]

10. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    I have a hen that crowed one time. Not sure what was up with that, but I think she was just feeling her cheerios and didnt know how to express it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by