In the cart

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Jul 16, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Seems Metzer Farms is comfortable shipping ducklings in the summer. So I have 4 of them in my cart. I was just waiting for DH to hear if he would be going TAD 12 hours from here once he returned from his isolated duty station, to know if I'd be dealing with weekends away from home a couple times a month. Sounds like he won't have to (could change, and if it does, we'll deal with it then).
    So, I have 3 runners and a pekin in my cart. Should be available on 02 Aug!

Before I finish the order, is there a reason I shouldn't be mail ordering ducks in August in southern AL?
    Or does anybody know of anybody in southern MS/AL, northwest FL area that has indian runner ducklings I can go pick up? I'd rather do local, but I've not been able to find any yet.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I would just worry about the unrelenting heat. I guess it depends on how they ship them? [​IMG] Hope everything works out, and your little ones come to you just fine! [​IMG]

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would be concerned about heat. They get shipped via Priority Mail, which means the Post Office gives them to FedEx and then back to the Post Office. They may die if they sit somewhere in an airport to truck. Most wont ship in the heat, but resume shipping in the fall when the temps are cooler. You should at least call Metzer and ask them questions about this and then make the final decision. I personally would not do it, but that is me. Isn't there anyone on this list near by who would love to sell some to you?

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Call your local country fair and ask if they can refer you to someone who has ducks. They should have something on hand.

5. Blooming chicks

Blooming chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Bucks County
    I would not ship this time of year. I too have lived in AL & Northern FL (prior Military myself) and I think it is definately too hot there right now. Have you checked Craigs list or local feed store bulletin boards?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by