In the city, and a hawk tried to get my chicks!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by arockkid, Apr 23, 2011.

1. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    I take them out in a child's play yard, weather permitting, and was inside about to vacuum out the brooder and heard crazy baby chick sounds, ran outside to a hawk flying away. I've seen hawks around, but figured in the city to watch out more for cats, and maybe crows?
    Thank goodness, it flew away empty "handed"....but I felt so bad for putting them in harm's way. I'll be sure to cover the top from now on, and have my husband make their outdoor run asap.
    I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if the stupid bird had gotten any of them.

2. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    I had a hawk get one of my older hens and yes, it is hard to deal with, especially when you find them still eating the hen. But, they are only doing what they are suppose to do, feed themselves and/or their young and it is instinct to hunt.

I have to watch for hawks where we live in the country and rural area. I try to keep the crows around to chase them away or I use a bb gun to scare them away by shooting next to them.

It is a great idea to put a cover on your babies. That is what I did with my broody hen and her 6 chicks. I feel a little better about their safety, but I still check on them every now and then too during the day.

3. Hoosierchickens

Hoosierchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2011
    Cloverdale, IN
    A lot of cities reintroduced red-tail hawks to control the pigeon populations. As a result, the red-tailed hawk is abundant in my area and I live 60 miles from the city. Since being reintroduced you can see a dozen or so perched on the side of the highway on the drive to the city.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hawks are everywhere, and are MUCH more danger to your birds than are crows. Crows, grackles and ravens will chase away hawks.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
  6. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    I guess I just worried about crows because I see them get squirrels and chickadees. And also see them going after the hawks. I definitely covered their play area, and hubby is working on the coop as we speak.

So, does this mean that the odds of them being able to free range are pretty slim? I have a 150lb neapolitan mastiff that has become their guardian, but apparently took a coffee break yesterday. Of course.

7. Mallory

Mallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Walbridge, Ohio
    I'm glad you heard them calling for you!

I will have to be careful about hawks too. I saw two or three circling above my backyard just the other afternoon. I figured they might have spotted some baby rabbits in the grass.

I do still think they're beautiful creatures, though. I'll just have to be careful, and remember they live here, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by