In the city of Waltham MA it IS legal to keep fowl

Rhett&SarahsMom

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
whether you keep them strictly as pets or view them just as livestock.
They are legal. No rules on how many or even on keeping a rooster. Although they do have a strict dog nuisance law. So that probably covers roosters as well.

Since I have been preparing to fight my city on keeping my pets I am legging up on what other cities in the state are fine with them. One of the richer cities(Newton, MA) allows them as well

recent article

http://www.dailynewstribune.com/hom...-city-Many-residents-keeping-chickens-at-pets

I just have to say, WOW! I live in rural Uxbridge and I know a handful of us who have chickens but I was told that I needed a "stabling permit" for $100 a year and had to be zoned agriculture (which I am). How nuts is that?!

overrun

i also live in uxbridge. I do not live in agricultural and had to pay 300 to appear before the zoning board to get a special permit. Dumb. But i am only paying 50 a year for my permit. Why do you have to pay more! Sounds fishy to me in Uxbridge. I thimk they make up the rules as they go! Erinm

is this fight on going? is it over? what is the results i wonder?
hope you get to keep your pets! hate reading these threads

Hi Erinm,

I think I had to pay more last year because I filed after I already had the birds and I was penalized. I was specifically told that the fee listed on the form was $50 but I had to pay $90.

But this year, thank you for reminding me, I'm about to redo my applciation for this year and I'll only pay the $50.

I'm sorry you have to go before zoning and had to pay the $300. That stinks. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

Julie

I am waiting til the weather settles some. Probably freaking May at this point. Then I am going to go speak with all the neighbors again, and have them sign a petition of sorts.

None of the neighbors are bothered by the girls being there. One(closets to the coop) told me that they will gladly stand up for us so that we get to keep our pets.

Excellent. I am moving to Waltham next week and have been trying to get an answer on this question.

I will still keep them somewhat stealthy as I have no desire to piss-off my neighbors even if it is legal.

Quote:
I am not to far away from you....I live in auburn and just called the town hall....we can have a max of 4 chickens and NO roosters, you could probably have more if you had more land but I am in a single family home probably 1/4 acre....$50 permit also required....and you have to submit a lot plan of where your coop will be!

Back
Top Bottom