in the coop or free range?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abhaya, Nov 17, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I have 5 pullets 2 I got as day olds on july 6 3 I got from a kid down the road he said that they had laid a few eggs. Those have been in with the others a couple weeks now and are happy and healthy. They all free range. I let them out shortly after sunrise (I am an early riser) I close the coop door at dusk when they all go in to roost. My question is should I leave them in the coop till like noon? Chickens usually lay in the morning right? I h.ave walked the edge of the woods and did not find any hidden nests but that doesnt mean that they are not there. My adult RIR lays an egg everyday so No preds are getting the eggs

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  2. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you build a run on the coop so they can be outside and then free range them in the late afternoon/evening?

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    Thinking about cutting a hole in the wall and makeing a pop door with a small attached run but I would need to get the stuff and I am on a really tight budget.

4. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Check Craigslist for some scrap wood and chicken wire. My whole coop was just about free: Free Craigslist doghouse, scrap wood from the deck we tore down, hand-me-down wire from Dad. It's worth a shot...then you aren't feeding chickens who's eggs you can't find! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by