IN THE COOP

City Farmer Jim

Songster
Mar 18, 2020
South Texas close to Corpus Christi
Being a newbie to chicken šŸ” keeping and really want to know why chickens do what chickens do. I'll set the stage for the question. Its 37 a north wind of 30 plus miles per hour with rain šŸŒ§ off and that was sideways most of the time. Here's the question...with that kind of weather why do the chickens NOT go into the coop at all..only to lay an egg. They stay out all day in the rain and wind ...any ideas why. They don't seem any worse for it and our flock of 9 laid 6 eggs which surprised us as yesterday was much the weather as today so not much sunlight.

Mine hate the rain but do not want to take refuge in the coop. They will stuff themselves in the brooder or under even the tiniest overhang, but not go inside. Yes, they really would rather be outside.

Only snow on the ground convinces mine to not leave the coop.

I'll set the stage for the question. Its 37 a north wind of 30 plus miles per hour with rain šŸŒ§ off and that was sideways most of the time. Here's the question...with that kind of weather why do the chickens NOT go into the coop at all..only to lay an egg. They stay out all day in the rain and wind ...any ideas why.

This is one of those times when I just have to figure that chickens know how to be chickens better than I know how to be a chicken. :)

With their cozy down jackets 37F isn't cold for them and feathers in good condition are highly water resistant so ... :confused:

Mine *might* go in during torrential downpours. Or they might hang out in other sheltered areas.

Normal - I was just commenting to my husband the other day during a snow storm with cold wind, why the heck wonā€™t they go in their coop and roost until itā€™s over? Nope - out all over the lawn, business as usual. I guess bc they have their waterproof, built in coats it doesnā€™t matter to them lol. I only saw them take refuge in the coop once and it was during horrific hurricane type weather, and it was only my pullets. My big girls were like ā€œbring it on, mother cluckers!ā€

Normal - I was just commenting to my husband the other day during a snow storm with cold wind, why the heck wonā€™t they go in their coop and roost until itā€™s over? Nope - out all over the lawn, business as usual. I guess bc they have their waterproof, built in coats it doesnā€™t matter to them lol. I only saw them take refuge in the coop once and it was during horrific hurricane type weather, and it was only my pullets. My big girls were like ā€œbring it on, mother cluckers!ā€

Yes, I've seen mine out in hurricanes too.

I gave them some straw bales as wind baffles for the winter and figured that they'd take shelter if they wanted it.

Back
Top Bottom