In the coop

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    Two nights ago, Mike got the coop about half done and we put the babies in. We are still building another winter room on the end with insulation and the nest boxes.
    Anyway, my babies were living in this little Chick tractor that we created for them. They were growing and couldn't run any more in there.
    I thought they would go Yippeeee and run all over when we put them in the coop.
    Well Chickens being chicken and living up to their name, they were scared. "OH MY MOMMY, DIS IS BIG, DARK, and SCARY!" [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Every one of them jumped up on the ledge of the window and that is where they stayed and cried. (see picture below)

They kept knocking each other off and trying to crawl under each other's bellies and I didn't know what to do to make them happy. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I was afraid they would never leave the window for food and water, so after a bout an hour, I put water bottles up on the window, which they promptly started drinking.
    So then I sprinkled some of their food on the window and that triggered more knocking each other off, as they scrambled to eat it.[​IMG]

So then I decided to sit in the door way with them for a while.
    Well first one fell off and so she stayed down this time and felt a bit more bold. She began to look around at the place. It is 4 x 8 in size. I had put in straw on the washable floor.
    Then she spied the big feeder and began to peck and eat. Then she kept looking at the water bucket, which is temporary until I get one hung up with the nipples on it.
    She thought that the water was too deep for her, as they have been trained to water bottles. But after a few looks down in, she took a sip. [​IMG]

Then another chicken came down, as she was curious about what the first one was doing.
    She too began exploring and then eating.

Well then a third one came down. By this time, I was convinced that someone had taught them the game of "follow the leader". [​IMG]
    THe three that were now down were the younger ones who are about 7 weeks old.
    The older two hung off over the edge, strongly curious about the three others, but TOO CHICKEN to come down. [​IMG]
    So eventually I pulled them both down, ,lol.

After that, they all stayed down and explored their new home.
    All seemed well for a while after this. I kept checking on them.
    Then it was bed time. Well if the neighbors didn't know we had chickens yet, they sure heard a bunch of crying now. They were whining and crying so loud. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    They would not shut up either.

So I thought to myself, they are used to sleeping in a plastic bin that has a crawl hole in it. They feel safe in that bin.
    I can't take the chick tractor apart, so I found another bin, cut a hole off it and took it in to the coop.
    I set it down on the three little ones that were trying to cuddle up in the corner but were just crying their little heads off. [​IMG]
    I thought they were all inside it and I went outside to see what would happen.

Well I heard this terrible bumping and crying inside the bin. What could be wrong? [​IMG]
    So I went back in and looked and one of the babies was on the outside of the bin, by the wall and I think she was trying to get in from that side. She was too CHICKEN to go around to the front. lol.[​IMG]

So I picked her up and stuck her in the bin.
    Well you would have thought that I gave them all pacifiers for their mouths. [​IMG] The crying STOPPED just like that and nothing else was heard all night.
    The oldest two cuddled up over by the door and every one was happy.[​IMG]

DAy two:
    I took them out for a romp to play in the after noon, out in the grass. This was their first freedom. I was afraid that they might escape me, but we have a six foot privacy fence.
    Well my dog, Paris, a Chihuahua/poodle mix, decided that it was her job to be "Chicken herder" [​IMG]

She kept them in one area, and it was so funny.
    After about a hour, I put them back in the coop.
    Prior to this outing, I could go into the coop and sit in the door, or walk in, and no one would go out the door for anything.
    Well I was in the coop trying to show hubby where to put a roost and I turned around and EVERYONE was out the door!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] They were going back out to play, the little stinkers.

So here I am chasing and gathering up little bodies. Soon I had all five in my arms. It was hilarious!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Chickens learn fast I guess.

I need to start a blog with pictures. Anyone know of a free one that I can use? lol.

Having too much fun in Chick Land.............Expecting 15 silkies by Friday. What's next?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Adorable!!

3. AspiringUrbaniteFarmer

AspiringUrbaniteFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Melbourne FL
    Cute story.

4. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Thanks. Last night I went in there to take them for their walk in the grass and they were all laying on their sides. They didn't look like they could get up. For a moment I thought they were all sick.
    It scared me. I walked inside and suddenly everyone rose up. LIke rising from the dead. MY GOODNESS, don't scare me like that chickens!! I guess they were all dust bathing and playing that follow the leader game again. I have alot to learn about chickens.[​IMG]

5. KiraCookie

KiraCookie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2011
    Maine
    So cute! The middle one looks like a rooster.

6. Lil'ChickFarm

Jun 27, 2011
    Quote:Well it turns out that all three on the left side are ROO's!! [​IMG]
    At least I get to keep two.

7. haemony

haemony Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2011
    WV
    Lil'ChickFarm :

I need to start a blog with pictures. Anyone know of a free one that I can use? lol.

I recommend wordpress.com

Blogger is also good but you need a Google account to use it.

Both are free.

There can never be too many chicken blogs!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by