In the event of chicken math...

RedDrgn

Anachronistic Anomaly
11 Years
May 11, 2011
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
I told myself that chicken math was silly and that I would not succumb to it, and while I am still not giving in, I am starting to feel its siren call.
yippiechickie.gif

So while I will continue to maintain my position as being chicken math resistant, it can't hurt to take to take certain precautions and gather information (in the event of a total willpower failure).
hide.gif

We've got five 5 week old hens (or at least they were sexed to be hens, and so far, appear to be hens). Assuming that none of them turn out to be roos, I'm hoping to get a roo and possibly another pullet or two in the future. So how far into the future? Well, the problem is that I keep coming across listings for roos in my general locale...even a few listings for some breeds I'd really like to try out some time, which makes the future feel rather near (though I am holding out as hard as I can by NOT saving any of the listings/contacts I find for things that pique my interest
lol.png
).

So my questions are: When is a good age (for both the roo and the flock) to introduce a roo? Could I acquire an adult roo from somewhere (preferably from someone who needs to rehome a roo) and integrate him into the flock (I know there should be a 30 day quarantine and then gradual introduction to minimize any overly aggressive behavior)? If so, what would be the best age for my existing flock to be before we do this? Or would it be better to include a roo in a batch of a few 1 day olds?

Also, any advice regarding generally good beginner roo breeds for a new chicken keeper are most welcome (I understand that there is always a potential for bad apples)!

I think the best way to introduce a roo (after your quarentine of course
wink.png
) is really any of the options you stated in your post. I've found that after being without a rooster, my girls are usually happy to have one back around. I've been pretty lucky to not have any seriously aggressive guys, but I could share some of my absolute favorites. My current head rooster is a Buff Orpington x Silkie, and is an absolute sweetheart. Loves to be picked up and fussed over. I also had his dad (Silkie), my daughter carried him around like a baby the entire 2 years we had him. Now he lives with my brothers girlfriend and lives in her house
roll.png
I also had a partridge Chentechler who was a real gentle guy, he would take feed out of our hands without ever touching our skin and was really great with the girls and their chicks. I picked up 3 LF Cochin cockerals yesterday and they're very sweet, too. But they're only 12 weeks old, so who knows. Good luck!

I've always wanted some carnivorous plants.
smile.png
Back to chicken math - one other thing to possibly consider is who you purchase the roo from. A number of folks on here have noted that hatchery roos may be more prone to agression but buying from a reputable breeder may help minimize that as they are mor elikely to select against such agression. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Quote:
At what age should visual cues like the saddle feathers start to show up (roughly)? I've also heard rumors that some hens can crow.
ep.gif

Quote:
All of my original carnivorous plant stock came from Sarracenia Northwest. Great plants and superior care guides; plenty of varieties that are super easy to keep, too. I have about 30 different plant on the deck and in the house for insect population control.
wink.png

I saw that mentioned somewhere around here about roo stock. Ideally, I think I'd like to get a roo from someone who simply needed to rehome one so I can get some background info on its disposition before committing or taking a shot in the dark on a baby chick that hasn't matured.

Quote:
That sounds like a pretty safe bet!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom