In the garage?

outdoor junkie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Flushing
My chicks are beginning to stink up the place. I have four chicks that are halfway feathered I would say. Would it be ok to move them into the garage for a few weeks? Average temps here in Michigan vary fro mday to day. Looks like our longterm average look like 50's with some days in the 60's and 70's, and the nightime temps are in the upper 30's and 40's. Could they be put in the garage with a heatlamp? Sure would like to get them out there until it is coop time. Thanks all.

Anyone please. Thinking of moving them out tomorrow, it's supposed to be almost 80 with a nightime low of 60, thought it would be a good window to start them.

I'm in ohio and I moved mine to the garage when they were 3 weeks. Just make sure they have the heat light and they should do ok

They can be in the garage, but how old are they? I would still have a heat lamp on them at the appropriate temperature for their age until they are fully feathered and adjusted to regular daytime/nighttime temps. I don't know about your garage, but mine is NOT predator proof, so I would ensure they are enclosed in a safe environment as well.

Thanks, thats kind of what i was thinking, but wanted to make sure. Tomorrow they're evicted.
lol.png

I would think as long as they're protected from drafts and the heat lamp is making their enclosure an appropriate temp, it should be fine.

Thanks guys, yes my garage is predator proof. And I will leave the heatlamp on in an area of the enclosure to keep a warm spot. Not only are they stinking, but I think they are getting to big for the rubbermaid tub I have them in, gonna put them out in an enclosure about 4' by 4' with their brooder inside of it with a hole cut in the side so they can enter and leave it as they wish. And I think they are around 3 weeks old, but are more than half feathered I'd say. Amazes me how fast they've changed and grown.

Last edited:
I do not brood in the house. No way. The smell and dust? No thanks. I brood either in the barn or in the unheated garage from day 1.

Grayling, MI area. Coldest area of the LP. There is no issue with the cold. You simply use a multi-light rack and turn on/off just what you need. I use a 250Wt, a 150wt and a 90 wt. It's so warm today, that I am down to the 90wt and they still aren't really in the circle.

69833_dscf3094.jpg

69833_dscf3095.jpg

mine are always brooded in the garage, from day 1. just make sure there's no major drafts, no rats, and that they've got a heaty lamp that provides enough heat, & they'll be fine
smile.png
i had chicks in the garage last year when the weather was pretty fierce, they were fine.

Back
Top Bottom