In the general Portland, OR area? ISO help w/our duck

sierraforest

Songster
Oct 19, 2019
Willamette Valley, OR
Toward the end of last week, one of our two ducks suddenly started quacking incessantly for no reason that we can figure out. She’s not injured, we haven’t seen any predators around (not that there couldn’t be but we haven’t spotted any), we’re so good about making sure they have fresh water and lots of food, etc. It got a little better Saturday late afternoon after we gave her a small amount of CBD oil to try to help her calm down, but she’s still been quacking more than normal. We're in an area that used to be more rural but has become suburban so folks who have moved into the neighborhood aren't used to "livestock" (our ducks are pets to us, but not everyone sees them that way).

The reason I focused more on location in the post title is because as much as we do not want to give up our girls, this quacking might force us to, so I'm hoping for either advice with figuring out how to help her (which is my preference) or how to find the pair a loving home where it doesn't matter how loud or often either of them might quack.

Toward the end of last week, one of our two ducks suddenly started quacking incessantly for no reason that we can figure out. She’s not injured, we haven’t seen any predators around (not that there couldn’t be but we haven’t spotted any), we’re so good about making sure they have fresh water and lots of food, etc. It got a little better Saturday late afternoon after we gave her a small amount of CBD oil to try to help her calm down, but she’s still been quacking more than normal. We're in an area that used to be more rural but has become suburban so folks who have moved into the neighborhood aren't used to "livestock" (our ducks are pets to us, but not everyone sees them that way).

The reason I focused more on location in the post title is because as much as we do not want to give up our girls, this quacking might force us to, so I'm hoping for either advice with figuring out how to help her (which is my preference) or how to find the pair a loving home where it doesn't matter how loud or often either of them might quack.
Awww... That's sad.... I'm so sorry...

What are the zoning laws?

Awww... That's sad.... I'm so sorry...

What are the zoning laws?
I appreciate it, thank you. They're fairly lenient since the area up until fairly recently was a bit more rural (I think even roosters, for instance, are allowed on certain sized properties) but some newer residents are definitely insistent about wanting to "call the shots". For example, a recent arrival has requested that no one park in front of their home (even though they have a garage and a decently long driveway and the on-street parking is public property), there are vacation rentals popping up, etc.

I appreciate it, thank you. They're fairly lenient since the area up until fairly recently was a bit more rural (I think even roosters, for instance, are allowed on certain sized properties) but some newer residents are definitely insistent about wanting to "call the shots". For example, a recent arrival has requested that no one park in front of their home (even though they have a garage and a decently long driveway and the on-street parking is public property), there are vacation rentals popping up, etc.
We are having the same problem here with Silicon Valley folks snatching up homes like crazy (I'm in the Northern California Sierra Foothills). But here, these newbies don't have a leg to stand on. If you are zoned ag or rural residential, your neighbors are out of luck. In fact, when someone buys property out here, they have to sign a form saying that they acknowledge that we are in a county where there may be ag-related noises and smells.

If the zoning laws are on your side, then you should be able to keep your noisy duckie.

We are having the same problem here with Silicon Valley folks snatching up homes like crazy (I'm in the Northern California Sierra Foothills). But here, these newbies don't have a leg to stand on. If you are zoned ag or rural residential, your neighbors are out of luck. In fact, when someone buys property out here, they have to sign a form saying that they acknowledge that we are in a county where there may be ag-related noises and smells.

If the zoning laws are on your side, then you should be able to keep your noisy duckie.
How nice! Hopefully you're right and we won't have any knocking on our door about this. I'd also love to get to the bottom of it and help our girl in case this behavior is due to stress of some kind. She's about two and a half and not currently laying eggs regularly (we maybe find one or two per week right now) so I don't know what to think/do.

I am not sure there is a whole lot you can do. Some ducks are just really noisy. I have a few that love to hear the sound of their own voices. My saxony in particular love to talk. They also let everyone know when there is a squirrel on the property that they don't want to share the area with. Or shout if there is anything they don't want in the area. They sound the human alert. They quack if a buddy goes out of view... They are very chatty. It is just their personality.

What age is she? How many do you have and how big is their area? It is possible the area is too small.

I am not sure there is a whole lot you can do. Some ducks are just really noisy. I have a few that love to hear the sound of their own voices. My saxony in particular love to talk. They also let everyone know when there is a squirrel on the property that they don't want to share the area with. Or shout if there is anything they don't want in the area. They sound the human alert. They quack if a buddy goes out of view... They are very chatty. It is just their personality.

What age is she? How many do you have and how big is their area? It is possible the area is too small.
No doubt you're right about some being chatty, but this is out of character for her. She's always been very quiet unless she's startled or greets us when we come home. She's two and a half, we have two ducks (used to have three but we lost one in June to an illness), and they have access to more than half of our large backyard every day (they're protected in an enclosure during the day when we leave and they get tucked in every night into a locked large shed/small barn).

You are one of the people I was trying to tag.
😊

Back
Top Bottom