In the heat - paint the coop roof white

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gypsi, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

I was reading about dead hens due to hot coop temps in the nesting boxes this morning, and this might help.
    I painted my shingled brown house roof white, using latex Kilz2 and a roller. Surprise surprise, my a/c actually gets the house down to 77 degrees and turns off and on, even when it is 100 degrees outside. Used to not get down to 80 and run all day. Got my new electric bill - due to a provider change it's down by almost half, but in real electricity, I dropped 350 kwh off of the bill. I wanted to throw a party when I got that bill last week. [​IMG]

Back to chickens - the only dark parts of my coop roof are in the shade of the run's tin roof. And the nest boxes themselves - but they are on the east side and shaded most of the day. I've been throwing a white sheet over stock tanks with fish for years, to keep them cool.

Hope this helps someone. Have a great day!

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Great reminder! I need to paint the new coop roof and have been pondering the color--it should be white for the summer needs and dark for the winter months to warm the coop. Ugh!!!!

Really--I also have found that the heat is far worse for the animals to deal with than the cold. White paint wins!

Thanks Gypsi.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by