In the heat would it be a good idea or not

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Momagain1, May 12, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    to put a kiddie pool in the run w/a couple inches of water??

they have shade; but it does get hot and will get hotter in the summer..it was already 90-92 here and thats ABnormal for this time of yr
    in central il!!

but we have NO problems hitting the 90+ mark everyday in summer with EXTREME humidity...

soo..I'm not sure if its a dumb question or not lol but I asked it

2. Mom2sixpeeps

Mom2sixpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Monroe, GA
    Good question, I'm in Ga and we're already in the 90's!!

3. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    From what I have seen, chickens will not voluntarily stand in water to cool off. They are very good at finding cool patches of ground and standing or laying on it. Even when humidity very high, such patches are cooler than surrounding landscape and serve a heat sinks where birds can dump heat. Key thing to consider is that such locations are able to release heat to environment when temperatures are lower (night and early morning). If soil has moisture in for evaporation, the heat loss is speeded. With respect to humidity, 90% is less than 100% so some benefits of evaporative cooling can be realized.

A gentle breeze in shaded location also very helpfull. When it gets hot my free-range birds go to considerable lengths to find locations with shade, breeze and soil with some moisture in it.

4. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    mine arent free range; but they are in a large run; sand flooring/material on the ground...

have a nice tree to shade it for the most part...

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have one of those mist makers that I hook up to the hose (it is a brass attachment to a hose) and hang the hose onto something. The mist cools down the run.

They don't like it when it blows directly on them though. [​IMG]

6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    You may be OK as is. Watch for signs of heat stress. If evident, then further efforts may be needed to keep birds from over heating.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I agree- mine start panting like a dog when they get too hot, and hold their wings out.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  8. iamsara

iamsara Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2011
    Sonoma, Ca
    Hi,
    Ive thought the same thing and put one inthe run - to use for them to drink out of!
    because the water evaportes so fast in smaller conainers, it makes me ffel better that they have somehting alays to drink.
    ALSO, I use a ceramic type dish for under planter pots, for their water in someplaces and they DO stand in it in hot afternoons! I was amazed. thats why i thought of the pool..
    might as well be creative and see how they react.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by