1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In the Homemade Bator Genre-Presenting the Fridge-a-Bator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by speckledhen, Oct 17, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

DH has been eyeing this old non-working dorm fridge that's been taking up space around here for years as a potential incubator/hatcher. The compressor gave out after my younger son left college. The nice wooden MegaBator worked well, but the top, being made of pieced wood, would warp some in extreme humidity and DH wasn't happy with that part of it, so he pirated parts from it to make this Fridge-a-Bator. Being super insulated, I'm hoping that it will work well and if we come across a heating unit rather than a lightbulb, he'll change that part of it later on. There are a few airholes around the bottom and a hole in the top with PVC pipe and a winebottle cork as a stopper to let in air and humidity out as needed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Wow! what a great job. I wish my husband was that handy LOL.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That's gotta be the coolest bator yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    looks fantastic...what are you using for the fan part? Can you fit a hovabator or other store bought egg turner in there?

5. broncbuster07

broncbuster07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2007
    Waxahachie, TX
    Bravo! Bravo! Great Idea and Great craftsmanship!!! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aran, the computer type fan is in the upper back left corner behind its power supply. I plan to use it as a hatcher-DH made a tray to put that holey shelf liner in that you see in that second picture. A regular hova turner can fit in there, but we plan to use this mainly as a hatcher, so no need for a turner to fit. The electric cord for a turner can be fed through the PVC pipe in the top opening, if need be, though. That dumb thing has been sitting in the bsmt gathering dust and taking up space and now, at least, it has a purpose. Thanks, all. I do think my DH is a pretty smart and innovative guy.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  7. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Very creative! Makes me want to try and make one! [​IMG]

8. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    FABULOUS! Tee hee - you have the Mega Bator and the Fridge a Bator and I have the Sew a Bator...we need to start a Dot Com!

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    You folks sure are handy! Neat idea!

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nice job!!!! I hope it works. Sure seems like it should hold temp very well considering the amount of insulation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by