"In the know"

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by riley grapes, Jun 19, 2008.

1. riley grapes

riley grapes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    As you can see, I'm a new egg and have hardly a clue about chickens except that I love them. I just wanted to know, whats the main, popular chicken to have around now? I like knowing about these things mainly because I can't get any for a while and I... kinda like to fantacise... thanks!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    My 6 year old says her favorite is a Silkie.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I love my easter eggers, they lay greenish eggs, and they are so pretty.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    my favorite is the one I am hugging and kissing at the time. [​IMG] I like the black ones, red ones, white ones, brown, blue, speckled, spotted, laced, mottled...... [​IMG]

Alright,, I like chickens a little. Good luck and welcome. [​IMG]

5. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    well a common chicken to have is a rholde island red, but i prefer my silks over anything

6. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    I love my silkies, polish and cochins come in a close second and third.

7. riley grapes

riley grapes Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    Whew! That was like a shower of arrows, though I had a feeling the reds would be common, thanks guys! I like to know also about what kind of chicken is nice and tame, I've had some nasty chickens in the past...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    On BYC, youll find a lot of people tend to "fancy" breeds. Silkies, Polish, feather footed Asians, Frizzles, Faverolles, Easter Eggers (not really fancy, except they lay blue eggs), Naked Necks and other oddities all seem to have adherents. For some the more the merrier - they're not happy unless their yard is covered in living confetti. You could rightly call these folks 'fanciers'.

The more common breeds (Reds, Rocks, Wyandottes, etc.) are represented, too, but it seems you hear more about the others. Probably because the more staid breeds are seen as "old fashioned." Maybe its that, like the breeds, the owners arent as vocal as the "fancy crowd."
    If you favor Reds, then you have made a good choice.

For the most part, Silkies are regarded as mellow. But, they have the drawback of looking very little like an actual chicken. If you like walking featherdusters, they are probably just the ticket.

"Nice and tame," are relative terms. Me, I dont care so much about "nice." It's been my experience that a good chicken is not always a nice one. I dont see chickens as really tame, either - just domesticated.
    Personally, I want a chicken to be good at what it is supposed to do. If it doesn't get weak in the knees at the sight of me, that's okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    @ Elderoo: David, I will have you know my silkies are egglayin machines and I let them sit and hatch simply to give them a break from laying! I luv them because they are such characters... and yes I have them as pets and for no other reason. The silkies in the USA (and Polish) have such big poofs that if you do not trim the feathers around the eyes they are almost blind effectively >>> trim or bind those feathers up and just see how fiesty they can be!!! (and btw they were around long before most of the other breeds you see cept the jungle fowl and some games) Silkies have the additional advantage for the backyard flock owner in that they really dont fly ... and tho it is claimed they make instantly tame pets, you can "tame" any chicken simply by the way you interact with it (and if you do not, then you will not succeed at having any chicken be friendly towards you) ... besides , they are fabulous moms and queen of the hatchers (so who needs a bator?)
    , youll find a lot of people tend to "fancy" breeds. Silkies, Polish, feather footed Asians, Frizzles, Faverolles, Easter Eggers (not really fancy, except they lay blue eggs), Naked Necks and other oddities all seem to have adherents.

...are you saying these breeds are sticky?​

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Different strokes, of course. Diana is the other end of the spectrum from me. I never said a Silkie couldn't be a functional chicken, just that they dont LOOK the part!

Listen to what she has to say if you fancy Silkies - she has forgotten more stuff than most of us will ever know.

===================================================

adherent; ad·her·ent –noun
    1. a person who follows or upholds a leader, cause, etc.; supporter; follower.

I believe that to be sticky, one would have to have adherence, not adherents - a subtle, but noteworthy, difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by