in the low 30's tonight and 2 week old babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeannieo, May 18, 2009.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    I'm planning on bringing my dozen babies inside tonight as it is supposed to go down into the low to mid 30's. They've been in the coop since I got them a week ago with a heat lamp and 250 watt red bulb (changed from a white bulb when I realized they were pecking each other). they will be in one of the bathrooms. Do I need to have the red light on for continuity and heat (not as close to them as outside) or will they be fine without the light in the house? [​IMG] These are my first babies, can you tell? [​IMG]

2. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    We are supposed to get a frost too. I have 7 chicks 18 days old and 5 week & a half old out in the dog house with a 250 watt infared lamp. I think I should bring them in.

Watch their behavior. If they are hudling together under the lamp they are cold. Roaming around & lying individually...just right. Spread out wings panting, too hot.
    I will have the lamp on but higher up.

3. Slywoody

Slywoody Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    MINN.
    Better to use the heat lamp and monitor.

4. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    o.k. I've got them in the upstairs bathroom with the door closed and the 250 watt heat lamp on but about 3 feet away from them. I'll keep checking on them until I go to bed in about 3 hours. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by