1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

In the market for a desktop PC - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by greenfamilyfarms, Jan 17, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I'm in the market for a desktop computer under $1000. Does anybody have any recommendations on good and/or bad computers?

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    I recommend dell. I have a dell and toshiba laptop no ptoblems. The dell was cheaper and i actually liked it better. Not as fast though.

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I always tell people that brand means very little in PCs. No mater the brand you get, never get the budget model. Go one or two step above the budget model an that will usually be the best PC for the money.

4. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I currently am using an off lease HP Compaq - Old Celeron processor with 1.5gb ram and an 80gb hDD running Karmic Koala. Total cost?! $130.00 for the box only. Does everything I need a pc to do.

5. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have a Dell that I got off of their refurbished site. I paid $299...already had a keyboard and monitor. Had it for over 3 years so far.

6. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    you can build one that will outwork any dell, or any other desktop, for far less than 1k. i always build my own, and never have more than $300.00 in them. buy a bare bones system, throw in a boxed motherboard and hard drive. load up windows and go! you'll get a fast computer without all the proprietary crap from any off the shelf systems. it's really simple too. not near as hard as people make it out to be and you'll get warranties from each piece of hardware you add.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
  8. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
    I recommend a laptop. Most people aren't buying desktops anymore as laptops have everything they need plus the smaller form factor and portability. Dell sells some pretty cheap ones.

You can also find a lot of deals on different brands here: dealnews.com

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I already have a Dell laptop with the Inspiron processor, but we really need a desktop that we can dedicate for farm records and college work. The laptop is great for taking on the go, but it gets "old" after a while. I don't know how to explain it. Thanks everybody for the suggestions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by