In the name of recycling - OUR NEW CHICKEN COOP!!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Equine_Angel, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Equine_Angel

Equine_Angel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Brentwood Bay, B.C.
    DH and I have been searching for a new chicken coop for our lovely chickens as we are sick and tired of using our wood shed. I hate mites and no matter how hard we tackle them, they just keep coming back. Well, while looking on a website for used goods, we found this:

[​IMG]

Welcome to the Chicken Van!!! We are going to wash it up, paint it with our farm logo and make it all pretty. I hope this coop works outs! It is 20' long, 7' high and wide!

What is everyone's thoughts? Good idea....bad idea?

2. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    That is awesome! The only first thought I have is that you're going to possibly need to provide some good ventilation, depending on what you plan to do to secure the storage area of the truck.

3. LottieDa

LottieDa Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Brilliant! Your chickens will LOVE it! [​IMG]

4. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I think you'll enjoy looking at this listing on Craig's list of a VW Van turned chicken coop.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grd/2506542022.html

After seeing it I've got some similar plans for a 15 year-old Dodge mini-van that we have sitting out in our field. It actually runs too and I'm thinking of making a chicken tractor/move able coop and perhaps raise some DP birds for meat. We have so many predators in the area that I don't think a standard tractor would be adequate, but a mini-van turned coop may be just the thing!

Please post pictures as you get work going. I'm sure we can all learn from your experiences.

5. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    LUCKY find... I like it:)

6. de88ie

de88ie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2011
    Texas
    I want to see it when you fix it up!

7. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I wonder if you could take out the engine and convert the engine compartment into your laying boxes. Then all you'd have to do is "check under the hood" for your daily eggs! [​IMG]

8. lilhens

lilhens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Amazing! Your new chicken van! Eggs on the move [​IMG] your chickens will [​IMG] LOVE [​IMG] it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  9. HenCrazyMom

HenCrazyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    Merrifield, MN
    Quote:LOVE IT:ya [​IMG]

10. Bill Paul

Bill Paul Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    That's awesome!!!!! You could use your farm logo like you said and paint it up as an egg delivery truck. [​IMG] And I definitely agree that the engine compartment is the perfect place for the nesting boxes. It's gonna need lots of ventilation, I know from experience that trucks like that get real hot inside. HUGE potential!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by