In The Rain???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie<3, Aug 22, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I have 2 11 week old pullets who have been free ranging everyday all day in my small backyard....Today it started pouring..and i thought they would run back to thier coop..but no..they r hanging out under a bush..i tried to chase them into their coop but they wouldnt go..will they get all wet and then sick...or would they go into their coop if they werent liking the rain?

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

pullets are dumb. mine did that. we chased them in and blowdryed them.

3. tjweaver84

tjweaver84 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    I have one that used to run for cover when the rain started but sh has followed the lead of the other 2 and keeping foraging in the rain

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    You know, I don't know why there is this phrase "Madder than a wet hen" because my hens don't mind the rain at all. I'm not sure where you live, but here in Ohio, it's been so flippin' hot, I don't think it would hurt your chicks at all if it's in the 80s or lower 90s like it is here. If it was chilly, I'd definitely make sure they were dried and warm, but if it's hot where you are, they will probably dry off quickly on their own.

Just use your own good judgement! [​IMG]

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    Most of mine are out in the rain even as I type. I used to worry more about them being wet when they were younger, and it was cooler outside. With the summer we've been having I totally understand why they might want to stand in the rain!

6. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Mine are in the rain right now, ten weeks old, and loving it! It brings out all the bugs and worms [​IMG]

7. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    thanks...im in NY..not as hot as it has been..but its like 75 degrees and im sure gonna drop a lil tonight...i never thought i would have to blow dry a chicken in my entire life!!!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They don't need blow drying. They'll dry naturally. Won't hurt them.

9. ChickenCat

ChickenCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    craig county, VA
    My flock looked like drowned rats the other day............ pitiful looking. they love to graze out in the rain. There are few that wade in to the creek to look for bugs, seriously, wade in the water up over their petticoats. They just pile up on their roosts and go to sleep. Healthy birds.

10. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    In the PNW if it would hurt chickens to get wet, we would not be able to keep chickens here.

We have a saying here that "If you don't do it in the rain when you won't do it.'" I wouldn't allow very young pullets spend a cold raining night outside, but daytime rain, and with them being smart enough to be under a bush, I would leave them be. They are going to have no troubles with being a little wet. With your daytime temperatures they are again even in less danger. If you coddle the pullets to much they will not be able to handle winter conditions the way they should.

By cold I would refer to temperatures under say 45 degrees or so, and by very young by about 4 to 6 weeks young chicks can handle almost anything that the weather can throw at them. I would only worry about extremes in temperatures. For me that is 15 degrees and under, and anything over 100 degrees for here is the PNW of the USA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by