In the research stages in Raleigh, NC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggfooyoung, Mar 29, 2017.

1. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2017
    Raleigh, NC
    Hello!

Just moved into a house in a non-HOA neighborhood where many neighbors have chickens, and I hope to as well. I am one who researches something to death before I dive in and do something, so I literally have been reading up on chickens for the past 3 years, just waiting until I could actually HAVE them lol. Still, you'd think I'd be an expert right now, but since I don't have chickens yet, it's all Greek to me - regardless of how many times I read/watch something online. I have the breeds picked out, have the type of coop I need picked out, now researching how to make a brooding box. Still, I'm scared to death to take the plunge because I fear it'll be too much work and I'll be overwhelmed. Need some seasoned vets to hold my hand, take me by the arm, buy me a drink and tell me everything is going to be juuuust fiiiiiiine lol.

Wish me luck!

Be well,
    Heather

2. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    HI Heather, GRABS your hand and says lets do this together. Its going to be just fine. So how many chicks are you getting?

I am no expert either but we have 4 hens a friend gave us last year. This coming Monday we will be picking out our chicks and bringing them home. I have a plastic container I have for my brooder incase I don't get one built. I want to build a box and place a pole on it so its attached to hang my light for the chicks so it can be adjusted to get the correct temp I will need. I have my son that building run for all the chickens once they are placed all in the same coop. But for now the run will be strictly for the baby chicks as the other hens already have a run under their coop. They will not be able to use it for about 6 weeks till they are big enough. The frame is up but the wire is not on yet its the only thing left.

1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    very nice to meet you Heather, so glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Backyard Chickens has your back., so you can relax.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Heather and welcome to BYC. Best thing to do is just dive right in! Nothing beats hands-on experience - that's where the real learning begins. As D/Diva says, the members here are great and are only too willing to lend a hand.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best
    CT

1 person likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Heather [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received links to some great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock when they arrive, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Heather, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Good luck to you and your future flock!

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Hello Heather.

Sounds like you are ready to jump in, so go for it.

I read once in a book that caring for a small backyard flock that was no more trouble than having dogs for pets. For me, that has turned out to be true.
    If you build your coop and run with ease of care in mind, then there's not a lot of work involved, but loads of fun to find in the adventure.

Feel free to post questions, folks here are friendly and want to help.

8. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Heather, go ahead and take the plunge, you have all the help you need here on BYC!

9. The Duck Ladie

The Duck Ladie Duck Addict

Feb 23, 2016
    [​IMG] I'm not great with chickens, but you ever have duck questions let me know![​IMG]

-The Duck Ladie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by