In this heat and humidity...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jul 18, 2010.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    ...would it be possible for an egg to hatch without a hen on it? The temps have been in the mid to high 90s and humidity is really high. Could an egg left out in this possibly develop? At night it drops to about 80. Would that do it in?

I know my hens that are sitting have shoved all the eggs to the perimeter of their feathers and are often crouching over them instead of sitting on them. I assume it is because of the weather.

What do the incubation pros think?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If you are asking about an egg sitting in the nest box all by itself, no it will not develop and hatch. If you are asking about eggs that the broody moves to the outside and then pulls back under herself, yes they will incubate and hatch. I 'm not quite sure what your question was? The reason the broodies are crouching over the eggs rather than setting tight is related to the excessive ambient temps. They know what they are doing.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Yes they will develop, Im not sure if they will actually hatch but they will develop, here in southern california we have temperatures in the 100's everyday and 80 to 90 at night.
    I just went outside like 30 minutes ago and notice that my quail had kicked one of her eggs out of the nest, I crack it open and there was a little chick almost ready to hatch.
    And you might also wanna check out this other thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=367943

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Yeah, I know why the hens are doing it. It is blasted hot out there and you practically can swim through the air the humidity is so high. I was wondering if an egg left alone in a nest with no hen and no incubator would develop in this heat and humidity. It's not that much different from my incubator temps/humidity levels.

Just a random thought. Just wondered what the eggs left out would do...

edited to add- thanks for the link. That pretty much answers my question. Fascinating!

5. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Good question. I wouldn't think that it wouldn't make it all of the way through to hatching but it will certainly start to develop. I know that all of the hatching eggs that we had shipped this summer hatched what would seem to be about 3 days early. When we recieved the boxes from the mail carrier they were pretty warm as if they had been in a hot truck. I'm absolutly positive that they will definately begin to develop when exposed to those temps for a day or so. I think the cooling down at night to 80 degrees would be the problem. There is always the try and see scientific aproach though! [​IMG] Give it a try and let us know how it works out. Chickens never cease to amaze me and you just never know sometimes what kind of surprizes they will thow at ya. [​IMG]

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    Well Im myself trying this out right now, I have a silkie egg and two RIR eggs outside in the nest they been there for 6 days now, and I just candle them last night and they seem to be right on track.
    At 18 day I will probably take them and put them in the incubator if they actually make it all the way.
    But them again the egg that I crack from my quail today was pretty well formed, and she doesnt sit on them at night, so its kind of weird.

7. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    Quote:wow!!! if they hatch.. you should name them, sunshine, ray, and star..

hehe.. this is interesting.. keep us posted!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by