In Western Montana looking Black Australorp Breeder

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pisanonine, Dec 2, 2014.

1. pisanonine

pisanonine New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Western Montana
    I live in Western Montana. I am trying to find a Black Australorp breeder within a days drive. Washington Oregon Idaho all work. I would appreciate any assistance you can give me. Thanks

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Oh, Black Australorps are the best. I just love this breed! My girls are so docile, friendly and crave attention. Lap sitters big time! And BA's are great on laying as well. You might do best if you do some chatting in your state thread and maybe one of your chicken neighbors can help you out...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/99679/montana

Check our Buy Sell and Trade section as well. You might find a breeder there, although you will have to wait til you have 20 posts to place an ad there, however you can still browse and answer other posts....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade

Good luck and I hope you can find some Australorps soon!!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

TwoCrows has provided you with some good link. Good luck in your search!

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck in your search!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. TwoCrows has given you a couple of good links to check out. Black Australorps are my favorite standard breed. I've raised them for years and they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Black Australorps.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock. You might also put "Black Australorps" in the search box and see what pops up. Hope you will be able to find the birds you desire.

8. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]Hope you find what you are looking for.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. pisanonine

pisanonine New Egg

Dec 2, 2014
    Western Montana
    Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. This new generation of Black Australorps will be our 5th flock of 25. We keep them longer than we should from a layer perspective. We went through other breeds and Black Australorps have proven time and again they can take the cold and the heat we get in Western Montana and still keep laying. The current flock has been in a long molt. We took the lights off of them for shorter day length and reduced the quantity and quality of feed for two weeks hoping to bring them out. They are back on full feed and the lights are on. Vitamins and Iron in the water, hoping they will start to lay again. We will be getting a new flock this spring.

I am looking for some real quality birds as foundation for a sustained laying flock. 6 hens and a rooster is about what I am thinking. When our flock is laying we can pay for our feed and provide eggs to 3 families. So when the time comes for rest (molt) we feel it, but understand it is part of the cycle. My goal is to raise our own layers and broilers augmenting a flock with 25 laying hens towards continuous laying. I will build another run and house for the rest birds and the pullets(may not work due feed requirements of the pullets). And another system for broilers. I want the broilers to be free range/pasture with supplement in a mobile house.

Good thing I am retiring soon so I can make good on all of these "wonderful" ideas.(family moaning and wife's eyes rolling) Thanks again for the welcome. Two Crows, thank you for the good information. I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Kevin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by