in your opinion when is it to cold

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by stone_family3, Oct 17, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    To let your birds out?

I'm in Ohio and it can get pretty cold out.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I'm also in Ohio. Normally I let mine out every day, but I do part tarps around my chicken run to block the wind, and give them an extra space that's covered. One winter we had such deep snow that they didn't want to go out.....

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I don't think it gets too cold. Chickens are fine in pretty cold temps. Or I should say cold hardy birds are. You may find that the chickens are afraid of snow and won't walk on it.

Imp- Yes I have shoveled paths for the chickens [​IMG]

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    how old are they?
    If they are fully feathered, they are fine...mine go out when it's only in the teens...

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:people forget that birds as well as our chickens are covered with down...do our winter birds, ie: chickadees and blue jays, have a warm coop to sleep in at night?

6. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Open the pop door and they'll tell you. They'll come out or they won't. Either way is fine. Give 'em time to look out and contemplate.

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    NE Ohio here and I am letting them out daily at 10am and they go in at dark. I leave the door cracked open in case they need to go in due to rain. In the winter I would keep them locked up in the coop.Not sure what I will do this winter,because there was a lot of pecking and I have a rooster now. There is also the issue of hawks.

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I don't think it can get too cold to let chickens out, unless it goes below 0.

I can still picture in my head my brahmas out during an ice storm a few years ago. The rooster had an icicle hanging from his tail feathers.

Some of my younger birds - esp. the turkens, have to have their combs greased with vaseline when it gets real cold, but otherwise they do fine.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had broodies take 3 day old chicks out in 40 degree weather. They can figure it out.

10. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:my hens go out in sub zero, they are fine...they will just go back inside!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by