In your opinion...?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Morgan7782, May 15, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Would it be irresponsible to start cross breeding certain chicken breeds for traits? Say if I wanted a Cochin (who I have heard are light layers) but with the laying ability of a Barred Rock or RIR, would it be a bad idea to experiement with breeding certain breeds together to achieve or strengthen a trait? If you are *not* showing. I am just curious, thanks for your personal insight!

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. hearthnsoul

hearthnsoul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Cape Cod
    I think that's a great idea!!!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LoL I am a dog person at heart, so in my gut I try to not meddle with cross breeding and such, but I have been seeing a lot of breeding projects and have become very interested. Right now I don't have the means to start such a project, but when I am able, I would love to breed for certain traits. Mostly laying/temperment and things because I don't show [​IMG]

My mom fell in love with the Cochins, and I looked them up and say they weren't "great layers" but I thought to myself... Barred Rocks are great layers, so are RIR's, maybe if I cross I could come up with the Cochin look with the good laying ability eventually

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I don't think it would be irresponsible - I think that's how many of the breeds were initially created!

Create away!

5. Penturner

Penturner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    Reno Nevada
    In my opinion it would not be irresponsible but realize I use words as they are meant, not what others think they mean. Irresponsible would be to simply let multiple breeds run together and breed at will. thus absolving you of any responsibility for any crosses. In what you describe you are actually completely responsible for any crosses as they where chosen and intentionally made. As for Right or Wrong. I have no opinion. Your money your time. Do as your choose.

Now for a few related thoughts. Since breeds such as the RIR have been selectively bred for years to attain the laying ability that they have. it is far more likely you will reduce the laying of the RIR with your cross breeding than to increase the Cochin. If temperament is part of your interest keep in mind that often the very trait you do not desire is related to the trait you do. As an example a heavy layer coupled with an aggressive protective temperament. this is because both traits are tied to things like hormones that cause both. In one real life example the chickens that have been bred to produce the most valuable feathers any chickens grow. That need to be handled and inspected in minute detail and for extended periods of time (45 minutes per inspection or more) are also, due to hormones and genetics required to grow those feathers, some of the fiercest creatures known to poultry producers. Harmony is an elusive achievement.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Not irresponsible at all! Chickens are not like dogs and such. In this country, eating a dog is not considered "kosher" (pun intended!!!).

With chickens, "mistakes" can be eaten. If you don't like what resulted from the cross, you can eat it or give it away! Plenty of people are happy with free birds to help their own flocks. I cross breed all the time in my "mutt" pen.

7. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    right now I'm waiting for my first batch of potions to hatch, polish x cochins. [​IMG] my daughter wanted to see what would happen if we crossed them so 5 eggs went in the bator. there is nothing wrong with crossing birds. as long as you are not advertising them as a pure bred

8. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    right now I'm waiting for my first batch of potions to hatch, polish x cochins. [​IMG] my daughter wanted to see what would happen if we crossed them so 5 eggs went in the bator. there is nothing wrong with crossing birds. as long as you are not advertising them as a pure bred

9. Chickanmanfromarkansas

Chickanmanfromarkansas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2010
    Would it be irresponsible to start cross breeding certain chicken breeds for traits? Say if I wanted a Cochin (who I have heard are light layers) but with the laying ability of a Barred Rock or RIR, would it be a bad idea to experiement with breeding certain breeds together to achieve or strengthen a trait? If you are *not* showing. I am just curious, thanks for your personal insight!

Not at all. The Barred Rock was created using Dominique, Cochins and another breed or two.
    Actually I've had Cochins in the past and they weren't that bad of a layer. Not everyday but usually every other day anyway, but you do occainsionly (Spelling) do get a hen that doesn't lay well but that happens in any breed. I think that if perehaps you use a rooster from the RIR or BR lines that come from good laying stock over the Cochin hens that you would probably improve the laying of Cochin hen.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you ALL for your input! I am glad to be assured lol. I also know to educate myself as best as possible around breeding and how to achieve different traits. I would love to create my own personal laying flock and create a breed that is beneficial to me. With any animal I suppose there are recessive traits as well as anything else, but it is exciting to learn first hand which would be best crossed. Plus, of course the footsteps to follow, you all! I have read so many personal experience posts with cross breeding and it is all very interesting. I wish I knew somebody in Sacramento who was into chickens seriously who I could "shadow" and learn from. I am too old for 4-H sadly lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by