Inapprorpriate Use of Egg Song?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedDrgn, Nov 3, 2011.

1. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Our chickens are 17.5 weeks old. Our wellie actually has moderately well-developed waddles and comb and is more red than pink, but all others have pinkish and small combs/waddles. None of have laid or shown any signs of doing so...until yesterday?

It was getting to be about roosting time for the flock (they were all out in the yard), and our BR, who is typically the first to roost, was heading into the run towards the coop. On her way, she took a detour up onto a small stack of empty cardboard boxes and knocked them over. Not surprisingly, it scared the crap out of her. She squawked, flapped, and bolted to the other four (standing nearby)...and then madness ensued.

As she ran into the group, the BA and EE puffed up and started flopping around in circles...the BA "bokbokbokbokbok"ing her beak off and then she very loudly BAGOK-KED(sp?) - she never did that before, but then she continued to circle the rest of the milling flock and "bokbokbokbokbokBAGOKbokbobbok" and in an instant the wellie was "BAGOKBAGOKBAGOKBAGOKBAGOK"ing all over the place and the other three took up the BA's bokBAGOKs while they all just circled and milled in place.

It went on for about a minute, though it seemed like forever with all of the noise they were making! We have never heard them do this before, and they have never ever been that loud. I'm not complaining, but what the heck happened? Was that the egg song (sounded like every recording/vid/other people's chickens I've ever heard of it) or were they inordinately freaked out by the boxes? ...or did the boxes jar something loose in their chicken brains? [​IMG]

2. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    The egg song and the 'holy crap what was that' song sound remarkably alike. They were doing the latter, sorry to say you will have to wait a while longer for your eggs!

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I dumped 2 big bags of leaves in my run this morning without much adoo. Then one jumped on top and fell through. What errupted was terrible. All even the roos who are penned seperate started in with the noise. At first I thought I had a preditor but no, just leaves. [​IMG] Crazy chickens gloria Jean

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

That alarm is used in several contexts, that is for sure.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

I have only once in my life heard an egg song from my chickens! Mine just bawkbawkbawk with no BAAGOOOCK in there. [​IMG] I like the egg song!

Too bad you didn't have the camera nearby! That would have been awesome to capture!

6. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Actually, I'm happier to know that they apparently just discovered a new "alarm activity" (they used to just BOK once and then dive for the nearest cover) rather than thinking that cardboard boxes somehow....uh, turn them on? [​IMG]

Yeah, I wish I would've had my camera because it was pretty darn funny....though I kept wondering "what in the hell are the neighbors going to think we're doing to our chickens?!?!?"

7. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    My Black Australorp "honks" for an alarm sound. She had gotten scared by something and if I didn't see/hear her doing it I would've thought I had a large goose in my yard. So maybe after she starts laying eggs she will "honk" a egglaying song.[​IMG]

8. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    lorain's fids :

My Black Australorp "honks" for an alarm sound. She had gotten scared by something and if I didn't see/hear her doing it I would've thought I had a large goose in my yard. So maybe after she starts laying eggs she will "honk" a egglaying song.[​IMG]

My LBs "honk"ed when they were overheated this summer. Scared the crap outta me.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by