Inbar, the naked chicken-more pics, update pg 15

danischi24

Loves naked pets
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Australia
So a friend very kindly allowed me to acquire her from the lab & here is Inbar, the naked chicken! Inbar is the original word for Amber & it's Hebrew. She is 15 months old & a nice small bantam:

Day031.jpg

Day028.jpg

Day038.jpg

Day037.jpg

Day030.jpg

And one of the huge meat breeding roosters (btw, the red is just testoserone):

Day024.jpg

Last edited:
So, to produce cheap meat it does not matter what is done to the bird?I don't agree.

It sounds as though they would be kept packed like battery hens indoors to avoid heat/cold/bugs etc.

Personally I find this unacceptable.

Cheaper vegetable protein sources (and I'm not talking GM) are the answer.

Quote:
lau.gif
You obviously know nothing about the US or the prices here. And where do you get the idea that all of us are eating Cornish X that we buy from the store?
gig.gif
I raise my own meat chickens. They are NOT Cornish X, and they all have feathers! They don't develop leg problems so therefore they do very well with free ranging. These birds that I am speaking of are called "Freedom Rangers" They are the least cruel way of raising lots of chickens for meat and doing it quickly. The hairless birds in your pictures are an abomination IMO. Now I'm not cussing you for taking care of them, it wasn't your fault some big money-hungry corporate no-gooder had to breed them for their own selfish interests. It's your apparent support for the research that your professor is involved with that has me concerned. He could be researching the use of Freedom Rangers instead, or the fact that it's just been in the last 100 years or better that people SEEM to require meat on a regular basis to be healthy. What is wrong with people eating rice and stuff that they can afford? I grew up in a poor family that survived on rice, beans, and potatoes for the most part. The absence of meat in your diet will not kill you. Meat is a luxury item and it is so sad that any animals have to be so severely genetically tampered with for the "good" of mankind.

Last edited:
Is anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

If those poor birds actually went on to meat production, they would have SERIOUS scabs, burns, cuts, infections, diseases, early deaths, temperature intolerance, etc. from the horrible conditions they'd have to sit around in as a meat bird.
th.gif

I really feel sorry for them even in a humane environment. . .

I take it these are the new ( No -Plucking Neded ) Birds they have been developing ? Poor thing .. I cant see where this would be comfrtable or healthy for these birds.. they couldnt be outside much due to heat, cold, and sunburn issues... KInda sad really .. Im glad you got her out of the Lab though...

Yes, scaless legs. They have been around for 50 years, a natural mutation lacking the scaling/feathering gene. They are no more messed up than the cornish cross. These can at least live a long life & don't die after a year of special care like the sad cornish cross rescues you hear about on here.

In the meat market, it's not just the plucking, they are also great for countries like Israel where the temperatures get so hot. They don't flop from the heat or need crazy cooling systems. I think that they are an asset to the meat market here & I'm not involved or have income from it. In my opinion, they are the lesser of the two meat chicken evils, cornish cross being the other.
My two chickens live in my apartment due to the crazy heat we have here so it's no problem for her & Cassia is so happy to have a friend again.

She's actually sort of cute, but that rooster - yikes!! Does she have a typical chicken personality? Is she friendly? I love her outfit.

Back
Top Bottom