inbred hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AZ Birds, Feb 1, 2012.

1. AZ Birds

AZ Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    not sure if this the place to post this but i plan on getting hatching eggs for breeding and selling hatching eggs or chicks in the future. have a question though if were to buy a dozen eggs a couple will probably end up roos right? so to keep my flock from inbreeding i would have to buy another dozen and switch the roos and hens to unrelated pens and have a surplus of chickens which i dont want. i want one roo and bout 7 hens but not sure how to accomplish that with just a dozen hatching eggs besides inbreeding so i guess my question is do you breeders inbred or just have a surplus of birds? also want quality birds so just buying one roo from feed store wouldnt be an option.

2. princetonpeeps

princetonpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2012
    Princeton, MN
    Was wondering the same thing.... Curious to hear what people have to say!!!

3. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    im curious to because i was just thinking also no matter how many dozen eggs you get you will still always have roos with no hens to pair them up with unless you inbred.

4. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    I will be lurking on this thread since I was also wondering the same thing.

5. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    First, [​IMG]

People on here are great and they are very knowledgable. I am sure someone can answer your question. I am still new to chickens.

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I have unrelated Roosters and unrelated hens. I line breed if I can Mother to Son, Father to Daughter, Grandparent to Grandchild, but NEVER Brother to Sister. I keep a Rooster for 2 years then I keep hens for 2 years. I will keep a Rooster for longer if he is a good Quality. Sometimes you might have to breed brother to sister but do not keep doing this. Switching out a Roo might be what you need to do. Roos are easy to find locally if you want hatchery quality. Try to find a breeder close that will sell you a Roo every now and then.

Nate

7. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    thanks Nate so breeders do inbreed they just dont do brother and sister. by the way i been watching your auctions and soon as i get a good incubator im going to have get some buff orp eggs from you, since those are the type of chickens i want to breed. been talking to feed stores around my area and they say the same thing soon as they get buffs they sell out before anything else they get.do you keep all your buffs in the same pens or different pens? if you do seperate would it be possible to get 6 eggs from you from one pen 6 from another so i could start off breeding with totally unrelated birds?

8. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Its not inbreeding its called line breeding. This is used to keep a bloodline from getting interrupted. I will be getting some 100% Pure English Barred Lemon Cuckoo Orpington Chicks this Saturday and they Line Breed and I will be getting a second generation. I will grow out the chicks and keep the best then Breed them, raise the chicks and I will hatch there chicks and raise them and put the original rooster over his daughters to start the line breeding and I will keep him for 2 years.

Nate

1 person likes this.
  9. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Wow I must be tired cause I did not follow thaat aside from siblings are a no-no. [​IMG]

We adopted 4 muscovy ducks...not sure if they were siblings. We've hatched out several babies, and now wonder if genes were not the best match (from "inbreeding"). One duckling died spontaneously around 4 weeks old. No aparrent reason. Another hatched with a very deformed bill [​IMG] and didn't live to make it all the way out of it's egg. We have 3 left, and one is going bald.

10. AZ Birds

Jan 28, 2012
    Goodyear, AZ
    ok so now i think i get it how i can do it. first i breed brother to sister (not recomended but will work for first time deal) then father to daughter and mother to son and so on. i will also stay on the look out for breeders in my area to add different blood to the genes. so far i only found people who sell lemon cuckoo, black, white and splash orpingtons. which is odd In my opinion because usually buffs are more common lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by