1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Inbreeding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by farmerlor, Jan 12, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Songster

So now that I'm thinking about doing some chicken breeding is inbreeding concern with birds the way it is with horses and dogs? Since the hens are fertile for only a few years compared the roos it's conceivable (get it? conceivable! LOL!) that a father roo could end up fertilizing his daughters unless that's a problem in which case I need to rethink this.

2. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm not expert but from what I've read it's not as big of a problem as with horses and dogs. With that said you probably could find another rooster of the same breed on craigslist or BYC after a year or so.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Breedinf fathers to daughters & mothers to sons is called line breeding & it's a common [and recommended] practice among poultry breeders.

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Crowing 9 Years

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:now, there you are.. short and sweet and right on.. I cannot wait for someone to dispute this one..

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:now, there you are.. short and sweet and right on.. I cannot wait for someone to dispute this one..

Why dispute it, when it's true? [​IMG]

6. timbofarms

timbofarms Songster

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    Thats good to know

7. snugglepup

snugglepup Songster

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    Well, when you are breeding closely related animals you will be concentrating the genes. You will be getting more nearly homozygous offspring. This will be true for both desirable and less desirable genes. Many good breeders will use inbreeding or linebreeding as a tool to concentrate characteristics that they like in their animals, and be ready to cull birds that show undesirable traits. To be done well, you should have a good working knowledge of the genes/traits you are working with and inheritance in your species.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Crowing 9 Years

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    here is the thread. I cannot cut and paste with my equipment..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: