inbreeding

smalltownflock

Chirping
Jan 8, 2018
so I have 4 chickens (3 hens 1 rooster) I got them from a local breeder, I'm guessing they came from the same parents and that they are all brothers and sisters. if I get a broody hen in the spring and let her do her thing will there be any chance of a birth defect with the chicks. I'm not looking to get into breeding just thought it would be neat to see the natural cycle and get a couple chicks in the spring. not sure if incest is a thing with chickens.
Thanks

There won't be a birth defect. There seems to be a lot of concern about inbreeding and in reality it takes a lot of close relation breeding pressure to result in loss of vigor and vitality. Just look at european royalty. To be an unathletic, pasty hemophiliac took centuries of inbreeding. You'll be fine mating your birds.

Ya there's no problem I. Have done it before and it's fun raising baby's. And also sometimes the other chickens will peck at your hen because there in the nest to long so you may have to put her inside

Your roo will most likely loose his "knack" with the ladies before inbreeding ever becomes a problem. Start with good strong birds without obvious defect, eliminate any chicks that have defect, and you should be fine. For example: I had a hen who was a moon walker. Excellent layer. She was not allowed to play in the gene pool. Wry tail birds don't play in the gene pool. Poor layers are also culled. Mean tempered roos get invited to dinner.

Back
Top Bottom