inbreeding

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jack bache, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jack bache

jack bache Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    hay if you breed brother and sister chickens together will the chicks be deformed or not?

2. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

probably if you kept doing it batch after batch... like kings of old used to do. constant imbreeding can't be good.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Full brother and sister shouldn't be bred. Half or father/daughter or mother/son is line breeding but you have to have a purpose or good reason to do so.

4. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    ok thanks

5. GotGame

GotGame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    NE of OKC
    I have known of several times brother sister matings were done with no problems. I wouldn't recommend doing it more than once in a row but you can definitely get at with it especially if they aren't line bred to begin with.

6. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Once probably wont hurt anything.

The best way to line breed is

Father X Daughter
    Mother X Son
    Grandfather X Granddaughter
    Grandmother X Grandson

Never Brother x Sister

Nate

1 person likes this.
  7. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    ok thanks i was having a talk with someone

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:That is partially based on what your goals are, There are several very good family lines that were built off of one trio.

When running type improvement projects it is very common to run F1xF1 matings which are Brother sister matings. This is also a common practice with color traits. It is not good on a sustained basis over many generations but has its uses in the breeding of poultry for a purpose.

9. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Hay, is not an appropriate or respectful way to start a conversation. My DD does this all the time and I have to call her on it all the time. What's more Hay is what you feed horses , Hey is what you say to your peers. People your age when you are a child. Usually , interjected. As in "Hey! you took my candy bar or Hey! that's cool. Notice the exclamation point.

Sorry but you need to be told, as starting a conversation that way, will come back to bite you in the butt when you go for an interview. Ok lesson over. [​IMG]

Now to answer your question. Not necessarily. It depends on how deep the gene pool is and whether you know the egg came from the same hen fathered by the same rooster. If you only have one hen and one rooster together you might run into problem but not necessary. One can only hope that there is no problem. This is why you usually see chickens sold in trios of one rooster and two hens.

I wish you well,

Rancher

10. exop

exop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If you mate brother to sister, or do other close breeding of related chickens, you should evaluate the chicks very carefully. Keep only those who seem healthiest, who grow fastest and whose feathers come in nicely. It might help if you keep track of who is who (use leg bands or those tiny multicolored mini zip ties / cable ties which you can get at a farm store/ hardware store , or put some kind of distinguishing mark on them with indelible marker and refresh it when it gets faded). Try to weigh the chicks once a week. This will give you the best clue of who is biggest, growing fastest, etc. Once the chicks are old enough to tell male from female, get rid of any runts (females who are smaller / slower growing than the other females, males who are smaller / slower growing than the other males). Get rid of any chicks with obvious deformities like a crossed beak, twisted toes, extra toenails, etc... (note, you are unlikely to see this kind of thing unless your chickens are already pretty inbred in the first place!) As they mature, get rid of any who seem to develop chronic health problems of any kind. You may end up being able to improve on the parents if you can "breed out" any problem genes which they carry. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by